Swapping In - Air Conditioning into a Non AC 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04hdstd

Reaction score
Hello All..

Has this been done? I have done a few searchs and just come up with troubleshooting and swapping out R12 to 134
Seems like it can be done fairly straight foward in the engine compartment as far as the condenser, lines and compressor, but does anyone know if the Evap can be installed into the non ac heater box, also what about the wiring? Obviously the Compressor clutch would need to be wired and Im assuming that needs to be inline with the Low pressure cutout switch.

Thanks in advance

Ian

kyled

Reaction score
I will be installing a/c into a 94 k1500 that never had it. I planned on swapping the entire heater box under the dash for one from an a/c truck. Once I get the truck running again will be putting in a/c so I am also interested in this topic.

Last edited:

04hdstd

Reaction score
Sorry the Year is a 1988

A little history on my project. I got this truck rather cheap. It has a 7.4L crate motor swapped into it. I just planned on getting this truck and running it as a winter truck and doing some hauling towing etc, not as my main vehicle. I did end up spraying a bed liner in it and thats where it all started. Neighbors and friends of mine started saying I should fix the truck up so I did. I pulled the bed and descaled the frame and bed. I welding in new replace fenders in the bed and seam sealed and bedlinered the underside of the bed. I por15 the frame and topcoated that with semi gloss black. I changed the fluids, cv shaft, drums/shoes. Installed new rubber and hard brakelines. I sprayed the truck GM white to help hide the imperfections I didnt fix etc. I picked up a new hood and bumpers to replace the rotted ones. I am currently tuning the truck with TunerPro RT. I plan on doing some other mods like shorty headers and intake, I picked a XJ steering shaft to swap out the GM one. I want to upgrade the brakes, I am thinking of doing a Hydro unit swap.

Ian

Attachments

• IMAG1074.jpg
    IMAG1074.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG1014.jpg
    IMAG1014.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG0873.jpg
    IMAG0873.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0723.jpg
    IMAG0723.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 9

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you ever get your ac installed and working
This member has not been on here since Sept 29 2013, and only has 3 post, all of them in this thread. I don't think you are going to get an answer. If you look in the top left, rite above the avatar, you will see the date and time of the post.

Bardo

Reaction score
That's my fault. I've been looking for info on this subject but I'm coming up short. I found one guy that said it did it but didn't have to much info on the subject.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's my fault. I've been looking for info on this subject but I'm coming up short. I found one guy that said it did it but didn't have to much info on the subject.

Many of us have taken a turn doing that, self included. It usually happens when you are chasing down details of how to do something and it can get easy not to notice the date on a thread. Don't feel too badly. Also once in a while you will find a great thread buried on here that deserves to be seen and read again. I have resurrected a few of those myself.

If you end up swapping in an AC to a previously non AC truck, please be sure to document the process and make it easier for the next guy. The best thread on here is a complete one, not an abandoned one like this one was.

Last edited:

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have not done the swap but would strongly advise finding a donor with a/c. By the time you start buying all the parts and controls wiring ect. it will save you plenty. It will also show you the difference as you get into it.