Swapping 454 into a 1998 Chevy Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
man you need to check who your talking to about not know about carb vs injection motors.. do some looking on me boss then get back to me..

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not even close to 10:1, 100cc heads would make it 9:1 and they used heads machined to 113cc

i swore they used 100cc heads huh.. i have the video saved on my computer i will go back an watch it again.. you mite be right lol.. i just remember the them saying it was 9.8 to 1 "close" to 10 to 1

rollin smoke

Reaction score
there is no way to get the vortec put to work with a carb motor. really on any truck with injection your going to have to pull the pump..

obviously you dont or this comment wouldnt have been posted. please prove me how you have experience then.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Polar, what are your intentions for this truck? Is is going to be driven daily, or more of a toy?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its a project for me and my dad to do. Has been a dream of ours. Our plan is to lower it so he will be able to put his harley in the back of it. This is not going to be a daily driver. My dad has his lexus for that. I was wondering why no one said it was a good id.ea of putting a carbed motor in. I think my dad is convinced that the 454back carbed is the way to go

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your dream father/son project, then do it just like you want to. It is doable, especially if you put an older style transmission (like the TH400 already mentioned) in the truck along with the motor. Biggest downside is going to be fuel economy, because if you're looking to haul your dad's bike around then I'm guessing that you want to drive it farther than your general area. Fuel injection can make equal power with better efficiency, but it is expensive. Be sure to start a build thread and keep us updated on your progress, as it could help anybody who wants to do this in the future.

rollin smoke

Reaction score
if you want a little better driveability then just use a 700r4. they have decent overdrive in them and there first gears are huge in them you could get away with a 355 gear in the rear and still have plenty of torque for the lowend.

also just run straight to the gauges yourself and with the water temp oil pressure volts and the tach and speedo. no need for the computer to run them. just wire in a relay for the fuel pump which is very simple to do. you could also put it on a oil pressure switch so the fuel pump would only be on when there is more than 5 psi of oil pressure.

if you need any wiring help just ask im sure your answers will be answered. also just go carb its cheap. easy to tune. and troubleshoot.

i say go big block but thats just me if my truck wasnt my DD atm id prolly be doing the same swap as you.