Swapping 454 into a 1998 Chevy Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello,

Me and my dad recently bought a 1998 chevy silverado with 5.7l with 4l60E. Our goal for this truck is to lower it with like 4/6 but I am not sure. We want to put a carbed 454 in it but we have no clue what we need. If someone could suggest what we need to do or point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
fuel regulator, exhaust, bigger radiator maybe, a 454, 4l80e like 93 said, go find a 454 truck and start pulling stuff id say. or buy one and sell what you dont need.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will a 700r4 built by monster transmissions work. They say it holds up to 600 horsepower and 650 ft lbs of torque.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
yea but then you have a tb cable to deal with. unless your wirings hacked up there shouldnt be any issue with running anything electrical. get yourself a vortec 454 and 4l803 pillout with wiring and computer and be done with it. cam it, port and polish job and ditch the carb idea and your golden.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to stay the carb route because i have the option to make more power than with the 454 tbi if im not mistaken. How much power could a 454 tbi handle?

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
keep the fuel injection..

Going carb in a 98 model truck is taking 10 steps back IMO.. most big blocks are junk unless you have one from back in the late 60's the weight kills them over HP.. yes there torque monsters but with out putting some coin into them that's all they really are.. you can make the same power with less money going small block plus the 200+ pounds on the nose of the truck will not be there.. if your dead set on putting a big block in something don't do it to the newer truck find a 95 down for cheap and have at it.. cuz on that 98 the PCM runs everything once you pull it have fun making everything work..

One thing to keep in mind.. the PCM runs the trans, the trans an motor work together. You going to have to buy a stand alone module to make the trans work. The fuel pump has to be taking out of the tank cuz you can get it down low enough in pressure for the carb. Vortec pumps put out 60psi a carb only needs 4 1/2 to 6psi.. the carb deal your trans is going to need ti to see a throttle position so your going to have to get the bracket from someone like TCI

Hope this gives you some insite on what your up against.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That helps a lot. I knew i needed a stand alone computer for the transmission but i didnt know that about the fuel pump. Ill have to forward my dad this information. How much power can a 350 TBI handle?