Swapping 454 into a 1998 Chevy Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
carb and tbi are both backwards.........do some research tbi wont make nearly the power you could get out of vortec of any other multiport setup.

as stroker said any factory big block is pretty much trash, great for torque but very low power numbers. unless you have a large budget then start buying parts for it, but it wont be cheap. also finding a 95 down truck is a better option. as he said the truck relies on the PCM for everything above the 95 year.

a stock tbi 350? its a dog, not very powerful in the slightest, mostly torqy. i think you need to rethink your budget and build plan. you need to establish a bidget for yourself because if you want power your gonna have to pay for it, and its gonna be alot more of a pain doing it to that 98. not saying its impossible though

overall eithe buy a earlier year of truck, or get a 454 vortec pullout and spruce it up abit and retune the computers etc etc. it wont have loads of power but its a 454 at that point.

How much power do you want?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my friens built a 454 that made 500 hp for 2500 and thats what i wanted to do

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 500hp 454 your friend has, has it been on the dyno? Just some food for thought.. to get 500hp out of a big block your looking at around $3500 to $5000 the heads to make that kinda power are getting hars to find. The square port heads is what you need or a set of aftermarkets. The cam is going to be fairly big somewhat not streetable.

Like what was said above big blocks are torque monsters but most only make 200+ horse power.. horse power tv did a SS454 build last year, the stock motor in the truck on a chassis dyno only made 190hp but 375tq.. they did a full top end kit with a FAST intake system and made 450hp on the chassis dyno. But they has well over $5000 in parts.. for $5000 I can build a killer LS motor that's haft the weight and make more power..

Do yourself a favor build a LS motor to put in the truck if your dead set on doing a motor swap. I did it in my 96 and made 400hp to the rear wheels an trust me the truck was a Hans full to drive..

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
First thing to know, every engine is different and those articles have a few hidden tricks of their own.

whats your goal for this engine? not saying big blocks are junk they arent streetable when your 5k deep into it though.

rollin smoke

Reaction score
i wont say what i want to about some posts already on this thread about big blocks. but ill say go for it. get a stock block find some 049s to port up and get a good intake and throw a cam in it right around .575 lift and you wont have a problem making power. i bet i could throw my big block in my truck and run down quite a few LS powered trucks.

also youd be a fool to run a stock fuel injection system on a big block over a carb with any intake. also im guessing you want power in just make sure you get it rebalanced. big blocks are good up to 6.5k rpms easily. personally if it was me id go up to a .600 lift cam run about a 4000 stall and have a good street machine.

also keep the in tank pump just run a bypass regulator to tune the 50 psi down to 6.5# of pressure.

if you wanna make any kind of power cut the overdrive . go turbo 400 and never look back if you got the money throw a gearvendors on the back but i wouldnt worry about it right away.

making the big block to work in the truck id rip the computer right outta the damn thing its not hard to wire up gauges. honestly what does the pcm run if hes gunna carb the big block? not just need to wire up the gauges which is easy . come on people your making this sound so damn more difficult than it really is.

Last edited:

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
A 500hp 454 your friend has, has it been on the dyno? Just some food for thought.. to get 500hp out of a big block your looking at around $3500 to $5000 the heads to make that kinda power are getting hars to find. The square port heads is what you need or a set of aftermarkets. The cam is going to be fairly big somewhat not streetable.

Like what was said above big blocks are torque monsters but most only make 200+ horse power.. horse power tv did a SS454 build last year, the stock motor in the truck on a chassis dyno only made 190hp but 375tq.. they did a full top end kit with a FAST intake system and made 450hp on the chassis dyno. But they has well over $5000 in parts.. for $5000 I can build a killer LS motor that's haft the weight and make more power..

Do yourself a favor build a LS motor to put in the truck if your dead set on doing a motor swap. I did it in my 96 and made 400hp to the rear wheels an trust me the truck was a Hans full to drive..

for 5k you can make much more than 450hp with a 454, they used the cruddy 7.8:1 compression pistons

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
true but the heads they used get it up to around 10 to 1..

all im saying is its alot more work to put a carb motor in a 96+ over the 88 to 95.. only one person on here said anything about fuel.. there is no way to get the vortec put to work with a carb motor. really on any truck with injection your going to have to pull the pump.. but good luck with your build bud you asked and most on here said the same..

rollin smoke

Reaction score
really gotta pull the pump? read my last post. hmm i run the stock style intake pump in my camaro with i a bypass regulator guess i did it wrong.

no way huh? here you go to cover the pump situation. http://www.jegs.com/p/Aeromotive/Aeromotive-A1000-Carbureted-Bypass-Regulator/750089/10002/-1

really the whole two of you are the majority? neither of you probably have experience swapping a carb onto a fuel injected bodyed vehicle.

so wheres the hard part about putting a carb onto a 96+ chassis?

and FWIW id run the 700r4 if you want overdrive for simplicity. the TV cable just controls line pressure on the trans thats it. no standalone computer needed. very very simple to do. just have to get a cheap bracket off of jegs or some other similiar site.

Last edited:

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
true but the heads they used get it up to around 10 to 1..

all im saying is its alot more work to put a carb motor in a 96+ over the 88 to 95.. only one person on here said anything about fuel.. there is no way to get the vortec put to work with a carb motor. really on any truck with injection your going to have to pull the pump.. but good luck with your build bud you asked and most on here said the same..

not even close to 10:1, 100cc heads would make it 9:1 and they used heads machined to 113cc