Swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superj

Reaction score
My buddy has a 95 single cab step side that is a 4.3 with 5 speed. He wants to put a v8 in. Will a sbc bolt to the trans and motor mounts or will he need to get all the little parts too?

Just asking since it seems we hit pick n pull at 0800. Not having done more then swap water pumps on chevy motors, i dont know if its like any other american car company swap or if its like the 80s 3 serie bmw where the i6 and i4 use the same mounts and all the electrical stuff plugs in like the larger engine came in it from the factory?

We are told its a quick super easy swap with almost nothing needed besides the motor, shroud, and ecu/wiring? Do we even need the ecu and wiring since they both use tbi that seems the same?

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I did this once, you will need new motor mounts, since the ones for the V6 are set back farther towards the firewall. Also, a different computer. I did a swap on an OBD1 truck, I know there is a bunch more wiring for the 95 and up, so not sure how that would go. Also you will need the fan shroud since its thinner. Also, the trans will bolt right up, the v6 is literally a v8 with 2 cylinders hacked off so everything is the same.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need the frame side V8 engine mounts and the ECM. Shroud is optional because you can cut the old one or go electric fans and eliminate it.