suspension noise problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pewterz71

Reaction score
hey y'all within the last few days my drivers side front suspension has been making a bad creaking sound every time i turn or hit bumps. i believe it is the upper ball joints but not entirely sure. i went to the auto parts store and tried to price ball joints but they told me it depended on whether or not i had cast or forged control arms. what type do i have on a 98 z71? thanks guys

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No idea about the cast vs. forged, but can you duplicate the creaking sound by bouncing the corner/bumper of the truck?

Did you check for play in the upper and lower ball joints?

Creaking sounds could be something as simple as worn insulators/bushings on the control arms, stabilizer bar or end links. You could try spraying rubber parts with a penetrating oil or silicone spray to see if it quiets the noise and help you narrow down the source.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You could have either type lower control arm. Torsionally, the welded plate arms are stiffer. It's not hard to tell them apart, you can simply look at it with the wheel turned and determine what type you have.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Later K2500 trucks (8600 lb gvwr) got the forged lower control arms.

K1500 and "light duty" k2500 trucks got the stamped/welded lower arms.

All the upper arms are all the same tubular construction.

Forged lower arms will bolt on to K1500 trucks so someone will have swapped them on at some point in the trucks life if its a 1500 with forged lowers.

There were no "cast" upper or lower arms on any gmt400 trucks.

Well, the drop axle on the 3500hd models might have been cast, but that's not applicable to this discussion....