Suburban rebuild questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MudBurban

Reaction score
So any of you that spend much time on GMFS have probably seen my "Lifted OBS trade for 24's" thread. Well I'm not gettin much help over there so I figured I'd try here. There's a list of things that need doin on it and I've got a good start. It has a 6" lift and a 3" body on some ugly 20" street rims and all terrain tires, I found out the transmission is fine and the actual problem is the rear end and maybe the transfer case where the axle came loose from the U bolts at some point and wasn't re installed correctly, so it's at my mechanic's place right now.

Now that I have that spill layed out I wanna propose my first question. I found all these tires used and one set of wheels. Should I go with
1. 38" swampers for $275 with 16.5x9.75 wheels off summit for $265- total: $540
2. 35" mud graps for $250 and 18x9 wheels for $200- total: $450

I'm just a little worried about the swampers not fitting or being too big and heavy since I don't plan to re gear

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would get the 35" mud grapplers. The 38s are not the best for daily driving and will kill your whole truck slowly.

MudBurban

Reaction score
Well I'm definitly not daily driving it, I'll only have it a few months probably and it'll just be a weekend toy. But the wheels I was going to get for the 35's just sold so would 18x8 titan wheels work? Tryin to keep a very low budget

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree with Mike on not getting the swampers. I had a set of thornbirds and don't get me wrong the did the job but they were not a daily driver tire. Extremely heavy and take a huge amount of weight to balance them. You will get more for your money out of the mud graps. Mileage that is. IMO.

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
ill drive to where ever you live and slap you if you dont put the 38s on that truck... not only will it look like **** with 6+3 and 35s but mud grapplers suck ass offroad are just as loud on the road as the much more aggressive interco tires.

i have been a avid interco customer for years and i will vouch for their products, my bias TSLs balanced out perfectly and i never even got my boggers balanced because they rode so good

MudBurban

Reaction score
ill drive to where ever you live and slap you if you dont put the 38s on that truck... not only will it look like **** with 6+3 and 35s but mud grapplers suck ass offroad are just as loud on the road as the much more aggressive interco tires.

i have been a avid interco customer for years and i will vouch for their products, my bias TSLs balanced out perfectly and i never even got my boggers balanced because they rode so good

Now that's a response lol I really wanna do the 38's but idk if I'll be able to turn too well with em

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im pretty sure they wont clear without cutting the **** out of your truck. not only that but what gears are you planning to run ?

MudBurban

Reaction score
im pretty sure they wont clear without cutting the **** out of your truck. not only that but what gears are you planning to run ?

I don't mind cuttin a little. I'm installing some keys to lift the front about 2 or 3 more inches too. And as for the gears idk. It comes with 3.73's stock but from driving it a little when it's not ****** up it feels like it turns those 35's over with ease so I'm thinkin it's re geared.

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
i know for a fact they will fit with damn near level CV angles and no triming... bubba is running this exact setup on x10s with no rubbing, so did the_law before him and thousands of trucks from around here

the_law ran stock gears for a few years with no problems, since it wont be a dd you wont have to realy worry about trans life due to lack of deep gears... and ive seen a 96 with 6+3 with 38 TSLs and 3.42 gears in 4lo sling the **** out of the tires in the mud. it actually impressed the **** out of me. im not saying gears arent a reaaaaaaaaally good idea im just saying you can make do without them for the time being

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
idk it just dont seem very wize to run a 38 on an ifs truck with stock gears that you plan to beat on. i see alot of broken **** in its future lol