Strange Whining Noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Every fuel pump whines, sometimes mine does so more noticeably than other times. Go figure.

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was Rock Auto's web site last night and saw their greats prices I hear them mentioned alot here on the forum and I see why. I am going to wait till the pump finally goes out before I go to the time trouble and expense especially since I haven't 100% narrowed it down to that.

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is the whining sound coming from your belt tensioner?

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the whining sound coming from your belt tensioner?

I don't think so, I was under the hood, under the truck looking and listening and I couldn't hear it at all, jump back in the cab shut the door and I could hear it again. The weird thing is the next day I could it at all, if it starts it again I'll begin hunting once more lol.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
try taking a broom stick with the broom off of course lol. put 1 end of the stick on the alternater, a/c compresser, belt tensioner, and water pump and the other end to your ear with the motor running. see it your hear anything. the noise will travel through the broom stick. same concept as a sethescope.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I was Rock Auto's web site last night and saw their greats prices I hear them mentioned alot here on the forum and I see why. I am going to wait till the pump finally goes out before I go to the time trouble and expense especially since I haven't 100% narrowed it down to that.

<---this. Good, don't buy one. I've driven four different GMT-400s from '94 to '98 and they all whine- just an excuse to get a louder exhaust!!