STOP SEAT KNOCK, SEAT PLAY, SEAT SLOP - BACK AND FORTH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for this link, Al! My Suburban driver's seat has done this for a while and I always wondered why. Just bought the last two sets, going to try one out whenever re-cushioning that seat makes it to the top of my priority list.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks for this link, Al! My Suburban driver's seat has done this for a while and I always wondered why. Just bought the last two sets, going to try one out whenever re-cushioning that seat makes it to the top of my priority list.

Let us know how they work out!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let us know how they work out!

Will do, as I mentioned though it might be a while before I get to it. Working on a brake issue in the truck and an electrical gremlin in the Suburban. Do you still need a set? I ordered two by mistake because I'm an idiot who impulse buys things in the middle of the night. (No power seats in my truck, just the 'burb.) If you want my other set I could send them to you for the price of shipping considering you're the resident interior expert here. I'd be curious to know what you think about them.

freeman35

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do any of y'all know how to stop the movement in a passenger seat that's not powered?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Check the seat to track, & the track to upright bolt tightness. Should pull the seats to do that. Do the front bolts first, then the rears.
On the bench.
Undo the big spring that pulls the seat forward. Remember where it goes! And be careful taking it off & putting it back on!
Cycle the tracks a few times looking for anything loose or binding, or just not working right.
While you are under there, check the tension on the spring that holds the adjustment mechanism into the holes in the track. Check the pivot on the adjuster, too.
Might have to bend that part that has the pin that goes in the holes. It's on the back part with the handle. Sometimes they get bent & don't align properly. Or dirt builds up on the pin, preventing it from getting all the way in.
There's a roller inside the tracks at each end. Sometimes they get stuck, so they aren't supporting the seat properly. That'll cause the seat to move around. I've found those rollers spit outa the tracks & on the floor under the seats. Fixing this kinda stuff works best with the tracks separated from the seat and in a vice. Sometimes it takes a bit of muscle & bigger toys (tools!) to convince things to go back together.
While the tracks are in the vice, check the play between the inner & outer parts of the track. I've seen those spread. Give 'em a bit of a squeeze with some wide jaw vise grips, or put a piece of metal on each side between a regular pair so that your spreading out the pressure & not squeezing in just one spot.
Give everything a good lube, including where the two parts of the track that slide. Cycle the tracks back & forth some more. Wipe off the excess. (But not off of the rollers.) Nothing worse than grabbing whatever's kept under there only to get a handful of grease!