Stock 350 vs. LT1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLMduramax

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok i just had the thought last night to put a LT1 in my 88 bagged reg cab short bed. what do yall think? A freind of mine has a LT1 he said he would sell me and it seems pretty cheap. Im not much of a gas engine gas, I could tell you all about a mower engine or a Duramax lol, but i just aint never fooled much with a 350 even though i have had this truck for 5 years lol....If i keep the 350 I am plannin on putting a Lunati VooDoo cam in it and maybe some other stuff, i really like the way a LT1 sounds but would still probably put a cam in it if possible too and some headers and stuff like that. Which engine would yall go with to be most cost effective with a really wonderful sound, kinda like a vette ....LT1 lol.... but with plenty of power. Would you build the 350 or buy the LT1 and build it? thanks for any help in advance
Trey

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ls1 has 8 coils build an ls1 with valves and a cam

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
I vote LT1, More power stock, Much more power stock vs the L05...

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LS1 all the way, LT1 is ok, but's it's kind of the odd man out, it seem's a lot of people have trouble with the optispark distributor, the accessory drive is a pain because of the gear driven water pump, and not nearly as many parts available as there are for LS style motor. I don't know about where you live, but here 5.3 LS motor's are going for $400, my local junkyard has a ton of them, various miles on them. Either way good luck with your project!

Last edited:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To TLMduramax I tried to post on your build thread, but a message popped and said I don't have access, to post, so maybe that's why no has posted it won't allow it. Anyway Nice project, good luck with it.

TLMduramax

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for all the input yall, draggin95 what shape are these engines in? like running or atleast close to it or what? if so i may be interested in takin a trip to arkansas and pickin one up if i cant find one cheap around here. have you got any idea of how to make it able to allow everyone to post on the truck? or is it just becasue it is a build thread?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, I have no idea about the build thread but hopefully it will get fixed though. As for the engines these are complete longblocks, only missing the accessory drive and this does not include wiring harness, but I am getting a custom harness from Nelson Performance for mine anyway, so I didn't need a harness. I haven't been to the junkyard in a month, but at that time they had probably 25 of them. They told me I could get all accessories for an extra $150. Take it easy.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
You talking about the pick n pull or some other yard?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sonny's auto salvage in Jacksonville has them at that price, and Preferred in Conway also gave me that price, but just for the motor, I didn't ask Preffered about accessories.