Still really slow....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've fixed a few little issues with my truck ('95 350 TBI), but it still feels slow. Almost like it's bogging down. But other times it seems to pull much better.

It's had a full tune up in the last 200 miles (plugs, leads, filters, cap, rotor, fluids) and I've cleaned the throttle body. Both injectors seem to be working OK.

After driving for a few miles the SES light comes on with an EGR fault. Can I simply unplug the EGR solenoid to see if it makes a difference?

All vacuum hoses look OK, no vac leaks anywhere. Compression is 170-175psi across all cylinders.

Anything else I should look at?

I don't want to throw lots of money at it as I'm going to swap the motor for an LM7 fairly soon.

Last edited:

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I've fixed a few little issues with my truck, but it still feels slow. Almost like it's bogging down. But other times it seems to pull much better.

It's had a full tune up in the last 200 miles (plugs, leads, filters, cap, rotor, fluids) and I've cleaned the throttle body. Both injectors seem to be working OK.

After driving for a few miles the SES light comes on with an EGR fault. Can I simply unplug the EGR solenoid to see if it makes a difference?

All vacuum hoses look OK, no vac leaks anywhere. Compression is 170-175psi across all cylinders.

Anything else I should look at?

I don't want to throw lots of money at it as I'm going to swap the motor for an LM7 fairly soon.
Its probably just a dirty egr valve. Try pulling it off and cleaning it because if you unplug it, it still wont run right until its tuned out.

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled the EGR valve off and it looked to be clean/clear. Apply vacuum and it opens ok. Ports in the head are clear too as far as I can feel.

I pulled the vacuum line off the valve and can't feel any vacuum on it with the motor running, so I assume the solenoid isn't stuck open.

So no further in finding the source of the EGR fault code.

gothicsera

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very helpful, thanks for that... will have a play around and see if I can trace the fault.

It might be nothing to do with the truck running like crap, but it's worth a shot. Like I said I'm not going to throw a lot of money at this motor as it will be coming out in a few months anyway.