Still chasing why my truck keeps dying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can leave the scanner plugged in while you drive, that percentage would be something to look at when it dies. I think mine doesn’t read exactly zero % when closed, maybe a little under 1% if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess the question is:

What could cause a truck to die...only in gear... coming to a stop (applying the brake)... forward and reverse... and randomly... while maintaining fuel pressure at the test port.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Of course! :jester: But... the symptoms don’t make sense for a vacuum leak IMO. Besides the dying part... the truck idles and runs like a champ! That’s the difficult part... it only randomly dies under those very specific conditions.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got bored and went ahead and cleaned off the TB plate “lip”

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of course! :jester: But... the symptoms don’t make sense for a vacuum leak IMO. Besides the dying part... the truck idles and runs like a champ! That’s the difficult part... it only randomly dies under those very specific conditions.

I didn't really think so either, but I remember my red truck was much more likely to die if I was on the brakes in gear when it had a cracked vacuum line.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't really think so either, but I remember my red truck was much more likely to die if I was on the brakes in gear when it had a cracked vacuum line.

Well I just replaced the booster and the booster hose... but I will check again. I can’t hear any kind of hiss or anything

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm thinking electrical. I would guess that it doesn't really have anything to do with braking it's just that's when the engine is coming down in RPM. It's probably a sensor that has a glitch in it, and all of a sudden the PCM sees a drop/spike in whatever, and doesn't quite know how to react. It could be wiring.

How often does this happen? Once a day? Twice a day? Twice per outing?

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking electrical. I would guess that it doesn't really have anything to do with braking it's just that's when the engine is coming down in RPM. It's probably a sensor that has a glitch in it, and all of a sudden the PCM sees a drop/spike in whatever, and doesn't quite know how to react. It could be wiring.

How often does this happen? Once a day? Twice a day? Twice per outing?
Usually once per...

It also happens randomly. So, the last few days, it has happened as I was backing out of my driveway on a decently cold engine.. Other times, it has happened in a parking lot out in town, with a hott engine.

It could happen twice, but when it does happen, I just go back home and grab the car so I don't get stuck somewhere stranded.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am really starting to lean toward the brake switch and the TC. Ever since I pulled the "brake" fuse mentioned back on like the 2nd post of this thread, it hasn't happened! I just took it for a spin and tried everything I could do to get it to stall and it didn't.

What I may do is throw the brake switch in and plug the fuse back in. Then, see if it happens.

There was a hidden code:
P0719 Torque Converter/Brake Switch B Circuit Low
Not sure if this was caused by pulling the fuse, but it didn't come back after I cleared the code (with the fuse still pulled). May have not given it enough time to come back...

Regardless, I have a good feeling about that brake switch. I am going to try it.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I can stomp on those brakes 10 times and it won't do anything... :shrug: