Steering Shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not the quick ratio in a 4x4? I wouln't personally, as I think the box in my dad's old 96 C1500 was a faster ratio and I didn't like it... too hard at slow speeds. I can (and do) spin my with one finger.

Higher center of gravity plus tighter steering ratio makes for increased possibility of a rollover in a panic situation. The K trucks are a few inches taller than the Cs.

mistaake

Reaction score
While I treat this truck far more gently than my previous GMT400s I don't want to have to worry about flipping it. Especially after I put a camper shell on it. I'll skip the quick ratio. Thanks!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome! I can't remember who gave me that info years ago... Maybe @sewlow? Either way it originates from a shop who rebuilds steering boxes professionally.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're welcome! I can't remember who gave me that info years ago... Maybe @sewlow? Either way it originates from a shop who rebuilds steering boxes professionally.
I have the rehead quick ratio on my k1500. There is absolutely no worry or issue about it flipping it over. It has been tested on a few occasions on the highway here in ma( if any of you live here you know how bad people drive in mass). I never felt the truck get loose, tippy or just unsafe.

If anything its safer as if you have to react quickly. the quick ratio will move quicker to get you out of a possible situation.

Take it from someone who actually has one for over a year now.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have the rehead quick ratio on my k1500. There is absolutely no worry or issue about it flipping it over. It has been tested on a few occasions on the highway here in ma( if any of you live here you know how bad people drive in mass). I never felt the truck get loose, tippy or just unsafe.

If anything its safer as if you have to react quickly. the quick ratio will move quicker to get you out of a possible situation.

Take it from someone who actually has one for over a year now.

Doesn't seem likely to me, either... I'm betting whoever said that had tall lifted trucks in mind, not a stock GMT-400 that gets dwarfed by many trucks.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think an experienced driver would ever have an issue to be honest. I'd be more concerned about someone unfamiliar with the truck in a weird situation.

I know a few different people here have done the QR box in a K truck and have no issues, but you still can't deny the physics behind this. Saying that the QR box is "safer" than the regular box in a 4WD truck is just silly.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW. Silly?

Unless you actually have one in your vehicle and have had it for as long as i have you should keep your unsubstantiated opions to yourself.

I dont appreciate comments on what i have experienced and knowing how things work " silly". If you are going on someone elses opinion and using it as factual then thats just wrong.

Just think about this. Companies these days would not make anything that would be unsafe or sell an item to the public that was questionable in fear of potential lawsuits rising from misuse, safety etc...

A stock ratio box is 15.6, quick ratio is 12.7, that little difference is not a whole lot and is not going to cause drastic issues as you imply. If you have a lift kit over say 6" and drive like an a$$ then i may some reservations about it but on a stock height, leveled, or say 2" lift it
would not be an issue.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you are going on someone elses opinion and using it as factual then thats just wrong.

I agree. Which is why I'm inclined to think about it logically instead of accepting your opinion. No offense intended. This is in the same ballpark as the people who run aftermarket HID or LED headlight setups and swear up and down that they're not blinding anyone, when factual evidence states otherwise.

Once again I agree that the difference is not all that significant. However the facts are that K trucks do sit higher than Cs in stock form, and a higher center of gravity combined with a quicker steering ratio will absolutely affect panic driving characteristics in some way. Is installing a quick ratio box in a stock height 4WD truck going to make it a rolling death trap? No. Would I recommend it to anyone or ever do it to one of my own 4WD trucks? No.

I do have opinions on a lot of things but they're far from unsubstantiated.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright soooo my Lares 205 steering coupler is en route from RockAutoShipsSoSlow and when my next paycheck arrives I'm going to order a Bluetop steering gearbox. It's apparently comparable to a Redhead, just at a more budget-friendly price for my old truck. Trying to decide between Quick Ratio and Standard - any preference? I'm gonna put both parts in at the same time to hopefully help with the slop in the steering.
Wow 12-1 ratio box would be nice on a 2wd sport truck. Make it feel like its got rack n pinion. Anybody here think about electric power steering? Been following threads on a few other sites where guys are running GM and toyota EPS setups from priuses, saturn VUEs, toyota yaris, in modified stock columns. Saw a nice install done on a falcon, and another on a dart. The *** electrics are failsafe self contained. GM ones require a seperate box. *** EPS setups are 3 wire hook up Batt hot, ign hot, gnd. Ditch the pump, hoses, etc gain more power and fuel economy. For now i have a jeep shaft going in and ditching the stocker.

mistaake

Reaction score
Wow 12-1 ratio box would be nice on a 2wd sport truck. Make it feel like its got rack n pinion. Anybody here think about electric power steering? Been following threads on a few other sites where guys are running GM and toyota EPS setups from priuses, saturn VUEs, toyota yaris, in modified stock columns. Saw a nice install done on a falcon, and another on a dart. The *** electrics are failsafe self contained. GM ones require a seperate box. *** EPS setups are 3 wire hook up Batt hot, ign hot, gnd. Ditch the pump, hoses, etc gain more power and fuel economy. For now i have a jeep shaft going in and ditching the stocker.
I love the electric power steering in my Ford Escape. I wish my truck had that!
My coworker thinks I shouldn't "waste" $300 on a Bluetop and just warranty replace my Cardone rebuilt gearbox. I told him... fine... I'll do it once and if the one I put in is sloppy I'm gonna order a Bluetop anyway... All I have to lose is a day of my time and a few quarts of power steering fluid... then again stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I'm 4/4 on sloppy gearboxes but expect it to be different this time.