Steering Shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
Me again, another GMT400, another sloppy steering situation.

Gearbox was replaced a little over a year ago, I have the receipt from the previous owner. I have to do some testing but I suspect the shaft is the problem, not the box. If I grab the shaft from under the hood and turn it, it goes pretty far before the pitman arm moves at all. All I gotta do is move that plastic cover out of the way and see if it's the box or the joint. If the box is bad I'll save up for a Redhead or Bluetop. I'm sick of reman Cardone junk steering boxes.

Dorman makes a replacement shaft (part number 425-185) for about $180.

My questions:

1. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE DORMAN. I've had terrible luck with them in the past. But is this product OK? Anyone tried it? Or do I go the jeep shaft route.

2. You don't have to remove the gearbox to change it, right? I wouldn't think so, but in some of the YouTube videos I watched on the subject did involve removal of the gearbox, some didn't.

Thanks for any input.

PS: this is my new truck, definitely a little nicer looking than the Suburban I sold my friend a few months back (that he's still driving with a bad fuel pump, bad tranny, and bad cats, these things are TOUGH!!)....

You must be registered for see images attach

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shaft is super easy to remove. Look at the XJ shaft upgrade write up in the suspension threads and it’ll show you how

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is a 95+ you can't safely use the jeep shaft. There is an extra joint inside that causes issues.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If it's not the box, I'd suspect the rag joint. Unfortunately, after I replaced my rag joint the steering wheel isn't clocked right. I'll revisit it again eventually, as the reman box I have is starting to get sloppy.

mistaake

Reaction score
If it's not the box, I'd suspect the rag joint. Unfortunately, after I replaced my rag joint the steering wheel isn't clocked right. I'll revisit it again eventually, as the reman box I have is starting to get sloppy.
Yeah seems all the reman steering gears by Cardone are junk, no matter whether it says Cardone or ACDelco or Napa or MasterPro on the box.

Reaction score

Picture is from a year or so ago, the u joint has a nub on it after you gring out the welds from the jeep shaft that is a good interference fit into the end of the gm shaft. welds are really just for security.

Reaction score
Me again, another GMT400, another sloppy steering situation.

Gearbox was replaced a little over a year ago, I have the receipt from the previous owner. I have to do some testing but I suspect the shaft is the problem, not the box. If I grab the shaft from under the hood and turn it, it goes pretty far before the pitman arm moves at all. All I gotta do is move that plastic cover out of the way and see if it's the box or the joint. If the box is bad I'll save up for a Redhead or Bluetop. I'm sick of reman Cardone junk steering boxes.

Dorman makes a replacement shaft (part number 425-185) for about $180.

My questions:

1. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE DORMAN. I've had terrible luck with them in the past. But is this product OK? Anyone tried it? Or do I go the jeep shaft route.

2. You don't have to remove the gearbox to change it, right? I wouldn't think so, but in some of the YouTube videos I watched on the subject did involve removal of the gearbox, some didn't.

Thanks for any input.

PS: this is my new truck, definitely a little nicer looking than the Suburban I sold my friend a few months back (that he's still driving with a bad fuel pump, bad tranny, and bad cats, these things are TOUGH!!)....

You do not have to remove the gearbox. The lower part of steering shaft is collapsible. I just replaced my steering shaft with a good used one from eBay