Steering play still after complete frount end rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TopdaT

Reaction score
I'm new but have been lurking on this forum for a while and signed up not to long ago, good info on this site... So hello good members of GMT400.

So after drooling over Tahoe Limited's all last year I finally got the opportunity to purchase one :driver: So far I have done the steering box and pump, idler arm, pit arm, all ball joints, all bushings, front brakes. After everything my only complaint is still the steering, it definitely is a night and day improvement from what it was but it still has play which annoys the sh** out of me! :gunner: I have searched the forums and am aware of the rag joint and the mod of replacing it with a jeep steering shaft... problem is it doesn't work for trucks 96+. I thought about replacing the rag joint when I had everything apart, but in all honesty I didn't see any problems with it and it looked to be in good shape. I had a idea of eliminating the rag joint by getting a shaft to slip into the shaft that is currently there and then adding my ujoint.. does anyone see a problem with that Idea? Now my other question is say its not the rag joint at all then where should I look? What in the steering column should I be looking for/at?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You need a helper to crank the wheel while you watch every part of the system to see where the play is, instead of just throwing parts at it. Unlikely to be the rag joint unless you can see wear at it; my guess would be most likely suspect is a crummy rebuild on the steering box.

Richard

TopdaT

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply someotherguy. I think its unlikely to be a bad rebuild on the steering box because I actually purchased a performance box from PSC. Not saying that it isn't possible but I sure hope that isn't the case. I am going to do a once over on all the steering components this week and see if I cant locate the problem. Is it possible it could be the steering position sensor or the EVO sensor? There is also a coupler under the dash that connects the steering shaft to the base of the steering column could this be the problem? I know the older trucks have a ujoint there. Anymore help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It could be the sensor but if not I would suspect the steering box. It has been known to happen with even the best manufacturers even redhead.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I changed the steering box in my truck, and it made a big difference. (1997 Silverado) I had gone through the front end and changing all the bad parts first.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't adjust a new (rebuilt) gearbox. Identify the problem first. If the fresh rebuilt box has issues, EXCHANGE IT...if they see that you've adjusted it, the warranty will likely be void. Most people don't bother to adjust steering gears properly anyway, just wing it, and usually cause accelerated wear or binding.

There's a joint in the column further up, do believe you can't easily see it though without dropping the column. Not likely to be the issue unless you have a lot of miles.

The EVO sensor (1997-up) can cause a "light" feeling in the steering, or an erratic amount of assist, but it can't cause excess play in the steering. C'mon fellas...play in the steering is wear in a component (or multiple components), not a sensor causing fluctuations in the amount of assist.

Richard

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you change the idler arm mount that bolts to the chassis? Its a greasable part and they do wear eventually. Also did you check the holes in the center link to make sure there not ovaled out? If you changed everything it should not have any slack in the wheel.

Last edited: