steering box difference between 95 and 98?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 95 Tahoe seems to have tight steering as opposed to my sons 98 k1500. I can turn that truck with my pinky.. I like that better than my tight steering. What do I need to change to get that?

Shawn

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has variable-assist PS and there is a sensor on steering column that tells the hydraulic system how much boost to give according to what angle you're steering. I think this system started on the 97 trucks. I personally hate it. I unplugged mine.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
He has variable-assist PS and there is a sensor on steering column that tells the hydraulic system how much boost to give according to what angle you're steering. I think this system started on the 97 trucks. I personally hate it. I unplugged mine.

Where do you unplug that little sucker.. I'm guessing it would not throw a code. That SSS is rather annoying when it kicks in..

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just unplugged mine from behind the PS pump. But remember it will be full boost the whole time and real sensitive.

Sent from my fire breathing IMCA Modified IPhone

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This must be what is messing up in my steering in the truck & Tahoe. It'll suddenly jerk out of no where at random. It's almost like hitting a ice or something while turning.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah so it'll be a 1-finger deal the whole time?

yes and i hate it!!!

im going to replace my PS pump this winter with an older model pump and i will need to change the lines aswell since they will not fit!

this should get me back to the tighter steering that i want without and stupid quirks in the steering...

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
yes and i hate it!!!

im going to replace my PS pump this winter with an older model pump and i will need to change the lines aswell since they will not fit!

this should get me back to the tighter steering that i want without and stupid quirks in the steering...

Yeah I hate that as well.. I loved how the steering felt in my '94..