Starting Issues, any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Lately when I turn the key in the ignition, the engine begins to crank and then abruptly stops. Even though the engine is no longer cranking, I can still hear the starter spinning until I release the key. Usually when I turn the key again, the engine fires right up. In other words, the symptoms are somewhat random.

Any thoughts on what this may be? Starter solenoid possibly?

Engine is the Vortec 350, truck is a 97 2500.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
It could be spinning and not throwing the shaft out to engage with the flywheel. I would probably just replace the entire starter.. i just did mine, easy replacement.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Isn't the solenoid the part that pushes the shaft/gear to engage and crank the engine?

Id rather not replace the whole starter if it isn't necessary. The engine only has 60,000 miles.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Isn't the solenoid the part that pushes the shaft/gear to engage and crank the engine?

Id rather not replace the whole starter if it isn't necessary. The engine only has 60,000 miles.

Uhm... that i don't know. I thought the solenoid powered the motor. I'm not sure what propels the drive gear forward.

Obviously with it having 60k i can understand not wanting to replace the entire starter, maybe take it to a shop that does starters.. i know a local shop here in Central IL rebuilds electronics, but for the cost of the rebuild or replacement, i'd just replace.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Well I swapped out the solenoid, didn't take too long. I should know in the next day or two if that fixed the problem. If not then I will just swap out the starter.

Thanks for the help guys.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score

Late response, but to answer your question: Yes, the solenoid pushes the gear out to the flywheel to crank the engine.
Mileage or age will effect the solenoids performance.

Good job fixing it!