Starting Issue '98 350 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98ChevyMan

Reaction score
I have recently begun to have starting issues with my truck. The issue is completely intermitten, so I never know when it is going to occur. Basically, I go to crank the truck and I hear the starter engage (click sound) but it does't turn over at all. I though this was caused by a weak battery considering that when ever it did finally turn over it seemed very labored. I replaced the battery and the problem was fixed for about two weeks. It happened again today for the first time since I have replaced the battery. I went to go start it and nothing, the starter engages but doesn't turn the engine over. I tried to crank it 20-30 times after the initial attempt until it finally cranked as if the battery was weak. The volts of the battery we good from the get go. It had 12 and some change showing on the dash.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this problem?

My next step is battery cables, and if that doesn't work its getting a new starter. I would like to try and figure this out so I can go ahead and quit beating around the bush.

Let me know what you think.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What year is your truck? Either the 98 or the TBI is a typo, because U.S. market trucks didn't get TBI's in 98.

If it's indeed a 98, suspect the lead spacer between the two positive cables where they bolt to the battery. They mush and let the cables get loose, and also corrosion can set up inside the boots on those terminals. This is why you often see people chuck the spacer, cut the covering off the ring portion of the terminal ends to clean them up, and use a shorter bolt (choose carefully so you don't bottom out in the battery) to connect those cables.

Richard

98ChevyMan

Reaction score
Yea, My mistake. Its not a TBI. Its a 1998 350 Silverado. I have recently cleaned the leads of the battery cables at both the positive and negative sides. I have also replaced (a long time ago) the stock bolt for the positive cable lead to the battery with a standard (hex head) bolt. I was tired of the stock thing rounding off.

After watching some youtube videos and doing a little more research, I am beginning to lean towards the fact that my starter is beginning to go bad. Being that the problem is intermitten I don't think the battery cables would allow it to crank like a champ then all of the sudden not crank then seemingly struggle to crank.

I wanted to get underneath the truck and hit the starter a few times with a hammer, but about the time I was going to crawl under there it decided to crank.

94GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had same issues while back. Replaced battery and it acted ok for day or so, but then same issue so I replaced the starter. And that was it for me. Probably your issue I would guess.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

tunedbytuna

Reaction score
Based on what you are describing I would say the solenoid is on it's was out on the starter. I would replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Definetly sounds like the starter is on it's way out, when the starter won't engage it's because the brushes have landed on a "dead" spot on the electric motor.

I had this happen to me about a month ago, several cranks of the key would jar it just enough to get it off the dead spot so it would crank.

Next time it does it try giving the starter a few taps with a hammer or wrench, if it works fine right after you've found your problem.

1992chevy

Reaction score
i would also say it is a solenoid problem had the same issue this fall with my 92 350, switched the starter out used same solenoid still had same problem, bought new solenoid and installed it on the old starter, works perfect.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright I am in serious need of help all advice is appreciated tremendously

Recently I had replaced my fuel pump in July. My truck 99 C2500 5.7 .
Recently replaced battery
And then recently a starter.
Like almost a month apart.

So I towed it to my local mechanic (always take it there) And it started/ turned fine with the bad fuel pump. So he put the new fuel pump in and the starter ate up the flexplate/flywheel up! Then when took starter n starter bolts off the bolts were bent towards the end. Got new bolts. Also replaced transmission mount bushing since replaced flexplate as well. Then put same starter and just sounded horrible eating up the flexplate. Went to exchange the starter for the same ultima that I've been using and replacing since I got the truck. Same thing again ate flexplate. Got direct drive starter n well now I'm in the same boat flywheel is gone and starter is still working.

Never happened before ever don't know why this is happening what in the world.....

P.s.
Starter ultima w/gear reduction.
Flexplate 168 tooth like original

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely not the first Vortec small block I've seen with a cracked starter bolt hole. Possibly happened due to:

1. Wrong length starter bolts used
2. Coolant in cylinders from intake gasket leak
3. Internally crossfiring bad distributor cap
4. Etc. take your pick

I swear I'll never own one of these for myself.

Richard