Starter Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My starter finally decided to take a dump on me (grinding really bad during start ups) so I purchased a brand new starter and will be installing it today or tomorrow.

Question.....do they all require shims or is it 1 of those trial & error things you don't know until after you bolt it up and try to fire it up ?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is mostly a trial and error run. I normally just try whatever was on there before, if there was a shim I'll put a shim on the new one and try it. Also its good to replace the starter cable to the battery while changing the starter, I've seen the cable break before and the starter was not even bad.

95ukawn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i replace my starter on my 95 a couple times as well on my 94 i used to have and it was just plug nplay pretty much, never had to deal with shims or nothing

Big Red 1500

Reaction score
I used one of the torque starters found on 96 chevy trucks and I love it, it has less of a strain on it when cranking compared to the stock ones, been working good for about a year now

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No shim's here either, I have never used them on a v8 chevy.

X3. I've never had to user shims on a SBC either, i don't see any feasible reason you'll need to. Unless your installing a oddball universal starter or something along those lines.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
X3. I've never had to user shims on a SBC either, i don't see any feasible reason you'll need to. Unless your installing a oddball universal starter or something along those lines.

Only one i have had to shim is the aftermarket mini on my dads BBC.

pike_mazter

Reaction score
Also its good to replace the starter cable to the battery while changing the starter, I've seen the cable break before and the starter was not even bad.

Replaced my cable after I tore out the starter. She was looking bad.

No shims either. Bolt on and away you go.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i went with a hitachi high torque mini starter a while back and paid like $350 for it, after ALOT of trail by error i couldnt seem to get it shimmed properly, but i got it good enough so that it wouldnt grind most of the time, only in reverse and when the tranny would down shift from OD to 3rd like going up a slight hill, just when the flex plate would flex in odd ways, so it didnt really bother me until it finnaly went out and and when i took it off, all the teeth were ground off and half the teeth of the flex plate were gone as well, coinedentally the tranny went out shortly after that so i was able to replace the flexplate then too, but anyways i went back to a OEM starter instead of a generic SBC starter, and well no shims and no problems since