Stalling 1990 sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ceseus

Reaction score
I bought this nice step side sierra with 350 v8 and 146k on the odo. When I start it, it turns right over but dies if I give it gas, or even on it's own. Sometimes it starts with "service engine soon", I hear popping in the muffler, but then it stays running and runs good, but muffler popping continues... i replaced the fuel filter, but it hasn't changed anything naturally. plz help me out.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My first instinct says MAP sensor or a Throttle position sensor. I say that as just my instinct from past experiences. You need to start troubleshooting stuff to narrow it down. Have you checked for any vacuum leaks? Look at your intake manifold and follow any vacuum hoses that go to it. I don't think a clogged PCV valve would cause the engine to die when given gas, but go ahead and check that as well as it is commonly overlooked anyway. I assume your air filter is clean? Have you checked fuel pressure? I have heard of pumps that are weak enough to maintain an idle but fail to deliver enough fuel under a load. I have always just had them die, but fuel pressure is a good check regardless!

Ceseus

Reaction score
My first instinct says MAP sensor or a Throttle position sensor. I say that as just my instinct from past experiences. You need to start troubleshooting stuff to narrow it down. Have you checked for any vacuum leaks? Look at your intake manifold and follow any vacuum hoses that go to it. I don't think a clogged PCV valve would cause the engine to die when given gas, but go ahead and check that as well as it is commonly overlooked anyway. I assume your air filter is clean? Have you checked fuel pressure? I have heard of pumps that are weak enough to maintain an idle but fail to deliver enough fuel under a load. I have always just had them die, but fuel pressure is a good check regardless!
I will order those, replace and see what happens. This weekend.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will order those, replace and see what happens. This weekend.

I hope that fixes the issue! I just threw out some parts that I have seen relate to the symptoms you described. I just don't want you to spend your money throwing parts at it if other things were obviously issues. :wink:

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had this in my 90 Sierra 5.7l about a year ago. Turns out the distributor cap was bad.