Squirmin’ Wormin’ Tahoe!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve got this 99 tahoe. I need the skinny on what works with getting tighter steering. I’ve done the EVO delete pump.., but need to know if I now order the 96 RedHead steer box with the 96 hoses or what!? I need a definite understanding here before I order because it seems like nobody on the web can give the facts just straight out. Surely there is someone out there that knows and has proven results to speak about. I appreciate the responses in advance!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm curious what exactly you're unhappy with?

I used the GM EVO delete kit on both of my '97s, keeping the factory pumps. The steering in both feels great to me. Slightly more assist at low speed than I would prefer, but nothing that's going to bother me enough to go changing parts. And I'm pretty picky...

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got this 99 tahoe. I need the skinny on what works with getting tighter steering. I’ve done the EVO delete pump.., but need to know if I now order the 96 RedHead steer box with the 96 hoses or what!? I need a definite understanding here before I order because it seems like nobody on the web can give the facts just straight out. Surely there is someone out there that knows and has proven results to speak about. I appreciate the responses in advance!

Have you presented your conundrum to Redhead?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think the delete pumps, are EVO with adapters for using the EVO lines. I don't know if there is any difference in the boxes between EVO and non-EVO.

I would call Redhead, as already suggested, and ask them about the proper lines to buy, or if the boxes are any different.

I still have EVO, so I don't have direct experience doing this.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to ask, is everything mechanically sound? Are your ball joints tight? What about the tie rod assembly? My son recently found a loose ball joint. He replaced it and we played with tightening the gear box too. Got it down to the steering wheel have <1" of slop. I figured a Red Head may be in my future. Then, before going with the Red Head, I took it in to his shop and put it on the alignment rack. While he was dialing it in, he found ~0.02° slop in the tie rod assy by pulling on 1 wheel and watching its toe moving before the other one did. Now I'm thinking about replacing all 4 tie rod ends, rinse and repeat.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah a new steering box is the last thing I'd do, after checking and replacing everything else up there that's in the system. A fancy new box won't fix a worn suspension.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you presented your conundrum to Redhead?
No. Yesterday was Sunday and they were closed. I’m going to call them today and see if they know. I just was looking for folks on here who have a Tahoe who could tell me first hand. I need to know feel and first hand knowledge of bolt-up on the older box and older lines on the newer deleted pump.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the delete pumps, are EVO with adapters for using the EVO lines. I don't know if there is any difference in the boxes between EVO and non-EVO.

I would call Redhead, as already suggested, and ask them about the proper lines to buy, or if the boxes are any different.

I still have EVO, so I don't have direct experience doing this.
Thanks for the response.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No. Yesterday was Sunday and they were closed. I’m going to call them today and see if they know. I just was looking for folks on here who have a Tahoe who could tell me first hand. I need to know feel and first hand knowledge of bolt-up on the older box and older lines on the newer deleted pump.

The boxes all bolt in place of one another. I believe they're different EVO vs non, but that doesn't mean Redhead doesn't have some magic that they can work.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious what exactly you're unhappy with?

I used the GM EVO delete kit on both of my '97s, keeping the factory pumps. The steering in both feels great to me. Slightly more assist at low speed than I would prefer, but nothing that's going to bother me enough to go changing parts. And I'm pretty picky...
I lifted this Tahoe six inches, put 35s with 12 1/2 inch wide wheels. It has-44 offset as well. The steering was loose with the EVO and I did the delete pipe with a new pump! Still loose as a goose. All front end parts are brand new! I just got off the phone with Redhead…, ordered a 96 steering box. Tim up there said I should get the tighter feeling I’m looking for. So we’ll see! I’m still wondering if I should get 96 hoses. He said the 99 and 96 hoses should be the same. But I’m still uncertain.