Squeaky belt help!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like someone said, remove the belt and see if anything drags or is rough

Sent from my finally running z71

already did. Everything spins freely and nothing wobbles like it's misaligned. As I said before I already brought it to a top notch mechanic. No luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was informed "I've never seen something like this. Looks like your trucks determined to be squeaky"

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I was informed "I've never seen something like this. Looks like your trucks determined to be squeaky"

No, that's someone who just has given up.

There's a reason for these things. You just have to be systematic to find it.

90% of the time is is tensioner/ider or belt related. When it's not one of those the "experts" just start throwing parts at it.

I wouldn't change the water pump yet. Take the pulley off it and make sure it is seated properly and the mounting surfaces on both the pump and pulley are clean. Reinstall it without the clutch fan with shorter bolts if needed. While the belt is off, turn the WP by hand. Make sure it turns evenly and without "hitching/ratchets". Then install the belt, run it and see if the noise improves/changes.

Did you change the tensioner assembly or just the tensioner pulley?

The tensioner spring in the arm sometimes goes weak over the life of the vehicle and doesn't tension the belt properly. It will still be in the middle of the adjustment range, but it can slip due to not enough tension.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
already did. Everything spins freely and nothing wobbles like it's misaligned. As I said before I already brought it to a top notch mechanic. No luck.

not trying to be that guy but sometimes there top notch mechanics can miss. sometimes having persoinal experience with trucks makes a difference rather than following procedures. just saying bud. regardless its something itll get figured out.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score

Weird. Then like great white said, could be your clutch fan. Although i dont see why it would but who knows, weirder shiit has happened

Sent from my finally running z71

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna just start throwing parts at it I suppose my new tensioner plus have been bad from the start? Is there a way to check this?

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great help guys. I'll let you know if I sort it out