Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My son just had one side hooked up with the 'new' relay harness on his 2000 Yukon XL SLT and wanted to make sure everything worked, it did. With this picture it is a little hard to tell which bulb is on the harness and which one isn't, can you tell?

I also understand why shovebill said you wouldn't get the harness from LMC Truck, when my son was hooking up the harness for the high beam bulb, both sides, one of the two tabs that catch on the '***' on the bulb, broke. Nice... not, after about 17 years the tabs on the OEM harness are still working as they are suppose to.

The 'new' harness will happen on my truck in a few days. The only reason I didn't post a picture of his low beams is he got a Denali projector set up for his vehicle, so he is running HID's on the low side so there really wasn't any noticeable difference, other than he thought that the HID might have come to full brightness a little quicker.

i vote left as well

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Here's a set of some loudspeaker measurements with polars included on the last portion:

http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/JBL_AM5212_95.SS.v1.pdf

i'm an advocate of JBL....have been sine my audiophile father got me into quality stereo systems when i was like 8 years old.....they're in my truck now....a very nice 6 1/2" component setup with crossovers in my doors, for the front of the system.....composite tweets, i don't like metal.

but the first speakers i bough by myself were AR-7's for my bedroom, twas 1973.....Acoustic Research.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Posting up the links to my front end lights that I tried to post earlier in the thread, hopefully the links don't magically change this time... This stuff is, in my opinion, about the nicest aftermarket composite setup you can get (Short of the unobtainable Brazilian Artebs) with plastic lenses.

Anzo 111004 headlights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PPZMC

DNA Motoring BLC10CH parking lights:
https://www.amazon.com/DNA-Motoring-BLC10SM-Bumper-Light/dp/B01EXXTC1W

And for the hell of it, here's the bulbs I'm running. Nothing special, but they work just fine. I switched to these instead of GE Nighthawks as they're a lot easier to find.

Sylvania XtraVision 9005 and 9006 bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HI0HY
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HEIDY

I'm using the Spyder brand myself but I did go down through some of the reviews and found several that had said similar to part of this review,

"Opened up the box and the first thing I see are "Eagle Eyes" stickers on the housings. The box itself has an Anzo USA sticker on it."

So I guess not all is what it says it is.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I'm using the Spyder brand myself but I did go down through some of the reviews and found several that had said similar to part of this review,

"Opened up the box and the first thing I see are "Eagle Eyes" stickers on the housings. The box itself has an Anzo USA sticker on it."

Damn...that's fu@ked up for sure.......go look at the first few posts in this thread. mine didn't have an identity crisis.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
i'm an advocate of JBL....have been sine my audiophile father got me into quality stereo systems when i was like 8 years old.....they're in my truck now....a very nice 6 1/2" component setup with crossovers in my doors, for the front of the system.....composite tweets, i don't like metal.

but the first speakers i bough by myself were AR-7's for my bedroom, twas 1973.....Acoustic Research.

Unfortunately, the JBL of late is only a commodity trader, and a lot of older traditions have gone by the wayside. Northridge closed up, production of items moved to Mexico... lots of outsourcing as well. Pricing of component parts went through the roof, they don't want to supply parts, ( where the enterprising DIY'ers purchased a lot of parts ) rather complete, full 'systems'. JBL component parts are available, but are priced high.

As far as tweeter or high frequency diaphragms go, light and stiff materials are preferable here. Beryllium diaphragms are used in expensive compression drivers, lighter than titanium, resulting in a higher mass rolloff ( wider bandwidth ) and exhibits breakup modes higher in frequency than titanium.

Titanium can be used to great success, but it comes down to execution, not material that makes the difference.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

While I'd like to dismiss that as all of these things being made in the same 2-3 Chinese factories like we mentioned on the first page of this thread, I think it's more likely that some of the third party sellers on Amazon are intentionally ripping people off. Makes me wonder which sellers the people who left negative reviews actually bought from.

I have two sets of those Anzos, one in each truck. One came from LMC Truck, and the other from that Amazon page. I bought directly from Amazon, not from one of the third party sellers on the page. Neither of my sets had any kind of "Eagle Eyes" markings...

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the JBL of late is only a commodity trader, and a lot of older traditions have gone by the wayside. Northridge closed up, production of items moved to Mexico... lots of outsourcing as well. Pricing of component parts went through the roof, they don't want to supply parts, ( where the enterprising DIY'ers purchased a lot of parts ) rather complete, full 'systems'. JBL component parts are available, but are priced high.

As far as tweeter or high frequency diaphragms go, light and stiff materials are preferable here. Beryllium diaphragms are used in expensive compression drivers, lighter than titanium, resulting in a higher mass rolloff ( wider bandwidth ) and exhibits breakup modes higher in frequency than titanium.

Titanium can be used to great success, but it comes down to execution, not material that makes the difference.

a few people i spoke to, including an"auto sound shop", all told me the JBL's i got were crap......they didn't bother looking at them either. these were NOS from a while ago, before the JBL name became **** apparently.....i was out of THAT game for a long time as well....back in the '80's i used Alpine stuff, some Kenwood too.

these people i talked to are pro-system builders and would like to have seen me spend thousands of dollars for what i wanted to accomplish.....

i recycled most of the system from my K/5.....the JBL components, a JL Audio XD 700 under my seat, a wonderful little JL 8" reflex woof- box behind the passenger seat and some Pioneer "pancake" co-axial 4x6's (baffled) in the rear door pillars.....and a Sony head unit that i can't understand how to operate, too many bells and whistles lights and bullshit....but all i listen to is my IPod anyway.... it has a remote so i can actually control it.......the truck sounds very good in my opinion......Black Sabbath and old Rainbow never sounded so good in a regular cab pickup, LOL.

.....anyone that gets in it and hears the quality of sound, at pretty high volumes is amazed....especially since you can't see a single thing sans the single din, "nobody wants to steal it" head unit. i have it set for mainly for jazz and blues......it fu@kin rocks.

oh...and i got those JBL's on e-bay for like $50.....in the old box......score. they have the silk dome tweets, don't sound "high and tinny" as some can be....i think the word is "bright".