Sputtering and no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John916

Reaction score
Since the pressure wouldn't exceed the regulated pressure (60-66 psi) with the return line valved off, it's probably a bad pump or clogged strainer, low voltage to pump or bad ground at the pump.

I would think that they would have checked the voltage (voltage drop) at the pump and also the ground there. There's a test jumper near the driver firewall at the fusible link that will energize the pump when connected to one of the adjacent battery positive posts. Use a fused jumper wire.

You must be registered for see images attach

Check ground 404, see if it's clean and tight. I couldn't find a better image, but it's located in the back somewhere...

Next time it acts up, swap the relay with a new one. If it doesn't help, return the part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the multiple replies Just trying to add information that might help. When i had the tank out it was perfectly clean, looked like a brand new gas tank. I was surprised for a 20 year old truck that sat for 4 years. When i replaces the fuel pumps i replaces the entire assembly both times.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The test connector for the fuel pump is a single red wire lead by the fusible link on the driver fender. You'd jumper it to one of the posts where the fuse cable comes from the battery.

Hope that made sense, I think there are one or two spare posts there that you can connect to. Use a fused jumper, 10-amp.

Back to the pressure test, so it goes up to around 50-psi with ignition on. Right? Does it hold there for a few minutes with ignition off or does it start dropping?

Does it ever get to 60-66 psi, even with turning the key on and off a few times at about 10-second intervals to let it build pressure?

John916

Reaction score
The test connector for the fuel pump is a single red wire lead by the fusible link on the driver fender. You'd jumper it to one of the posts where the fuse cable comes from the battery.

Hope that made sense, I think there are one or two spare posts there that you can connect to. Use a fused jumper, 10-amp.

Back to the pressure test, so it goes up to around 50-psi with ignition on. Right? Does it hold there for a few minutes with ignition off or does it start dropping?

Does it ever get to 60-66 psi, even with turning the key on and off a few times at about 10-second intervals to let it build pressure?

It never goes above 50 no matter what. When i turn the key on it jumps up to like 48 and when i turn key back off it goes down slowly but enough where you can see it going down. Like 5 psi a minute. It will drop all the way back to zero.

John916

Reaction score
It’s to the point now you have to have someone spraying ether in a vacuum line until it idle how it should for it to start. Just tried the ether trick around the intake gasket and everything to see if that was leaking and there was no change at all.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think this diagram is pretty close...

By blocking off the return downstream of the regulator, your pump should be able to get the pressure up to 60 psi.

I could be wrong here, so someone chime in if I'm way off, but if the pressure reaches 60-psi (and keeps climbing to pump deadhead pressure) then this means the pump is good and your earlier pressure loss was because the regulator was leaking back to the return line. The spring loaded valve isn't sealing.

If it cannot get to 60-psi, then either the pump is damaged, has a voltage issue (which you ruled out) or there is a restriction in the pump discharge line such as a clogged fuel filter or clogged pump inlet.

The best way is to put a shutoff valve on the pump discharge line (disconnect at the fuel filter), energize the pump and see if it climbs. If it does, then there's a restriction downstream. If it doesn't, then the issue is at the pump.

I've read that pressure should not exceed 75-psi, so you'd have to have a gauge on it.

Here's my question, though. If the regulator is leaking, can it only leak (bypass) into the return line? Can the leak also be through the vacuum port back into the intake...causing you to fail the pressure test? Looking through the throttle body, is it really clean in there?

I've never done this, but it seems like one way to check for a leaking regulator is to pull the intake, reconnect the harness, pull the coil wire and energize the pump using the jumper terminal. You'd be able to spot a leak then.

If it were me? I'd find a way to block off the fuel supply at the filter, get a gauge on it and see if you get good pressure. Older TBI versions used a pressure test kit that disassembled the piping there. Maybe a parts store rents those kits, but I'm not sure if the fitting sizes are the same or not.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For what it's worth, here is the pressure test procedure...

John916

Reaction score
Okay so just trying things again that the shop did, i blocked off the return line and had the guage where i could see it while driving. It will be at 62 psi idling and when i give it gas it will drop to 50. Its much better with the return line blocked but still not 100% I’m thinking I’m going to replace the regulator but i have the mfi upgrade with a new regulator on it. I bought it last night but everything I’ve been reading says the BWD is not a very good one. Should i return it and get something else?

John916

Reaction score
I’m going to try and find a way to test just the pump like you said too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969