Spectra CU 1693 rad fitment in a '88 with a 2 piece engine bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hey guys, I came across this newer 34 inch wide Spectra rad (CU 1693) at the yard. I am trying to figure out if it would work in 1988 Chevrolet C3500 with a SBC and a 2 piece aluminum bracket? This rad comes from a '94 Suburban/Yukon. I phoned Spectra and they said it wouldn't work with my '88 but I think this is because my '88 would normally have a 1 piece steel bracket? OR is their a difference for a rad for a Suburban?
I also got the thermostat housing from the '94 Suburban/Yukon. I would get the rad tested and if it leaks I can return it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sgt-cu1693

You must be registered for see images attach

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 34" radiators will fit in the trucks that originally had a 28" radiator. I put one in my 88 C1500. All the holes for the mounts are already in the core support. You need to take the mounts and fan shroud along with the larger radiator. Also, the opening in the core support is sized for the radiator that came with your truck. It is very easy to trim it to the appropriate size.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What bracket are you talking about, being one or two piece? The only brackets I can think of that are radiator related are the two top brackets that hold the radiator in place that bolt to the core support, and if you have the wrong one, just grab the ones from the donor truck. There are two maybe three versions. The brackets for the 17" tall radiators, 19" tall radiators and maybe another for the narrow radiators.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
I am talking about the engine brackets (the 2 piece vs the 1 piece) . I thought that perhaps the reason why there are different parts listings was because the rad hoses etc have a different "path" with the different engine brackets. When I go to the yards I will try to figure out if someone changed the rad to the "CU 624" recently. Perhaps I will get lucky

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I am talking about the engine brackets (the 2 piece vs the 1 piece) . I thought that perhaps the reason why there are different parts listings was because the rad hoses etc have a different "path" with the different engine brackets. When I go to the yards I will try to figure out if someone changed the rad to the "CU 624" recently. Perhaps I will get lucky

Oh, the bracket that the upper hose rests on? I'm not familiar with whatever the small block or v6 uses. I would think you could secure the hose in some manner. I think some of them are secured to the shroud.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Nope, I mean the actual engine accessory brackets..I perhaps was over thinking it.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Yes, thank you for your feedback. There is such a variety of radiators for example-18 inch to 34 inch, one for diesels (no pressure cap on rad) to all sorts of ports etc..I thought that perhaps the coolant inlet and outlet dimensions could be different among the 28 inch and 34 inch.