Speaker Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That said, I have an ancient dinosaur that decodes 5.1 DD and DTS, and does not have Audyssey capability.

Dinosaur, huh?

You must be registered for see images

This is the home system I spend the most time listening to. (Cheap-ass Velodyne 12" and PC with HT Omega Claro Halo sound card not pictured) My time alignment adjustments are basically restricted to changing the length of the speaker wire. :lol: I wish I had the knowledge and money to play with some of the stuff you've posted, I'm just a lowly dumb budget guy. I love learning about this stuff, though. Some of my earliest memories are playing with my dad's old JVC JR-S201 receiver. Which reminds me, I need to take that thing out of storage and figure out what's wrong with it.

Apologies to OP for turning this thread into a clusterf*ck, just enjoying the conversation.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
When purchasing speakers ( of any type ) we are looking for horsepower, IE: output.

To produce clean sound, we need to keep the excursion low, regardless of what new and 'exciting' technological innovations to reduce suspension non-linearities, and motor non-linearities, this does not change the amount of frequency modulation distortion.

This is in no way related to THD, or total HARMONIC disortion.

FMD is a product of a woofer undergoing excursion while simultaneously reproducing higher frequencies.

Take an example of a woofer producing a 50 hz bass note, and a 440 hz midrange note. If for instance, the cone excursion were 5 mm, the resulting FMD would be 2.86%.

The 50 hz signal would be reproduced, along with the second frequency of 440 hz, along with a 390 hz signal, and a 490 hz signal. ( 440 + / - 50 hz )

These additional frequencies are not harmonically related to the original signal, and are much, much more offensive than THD.

For instance, if a 50 hz sinewave ( with no other attendant frequencies played ) resulted in a 50 hz output and a 100 hz additional signal, lower in level, it is still harmonically related to the original signal.

In order to reduce FMD, there are ways to work around this:

If limited by transducer surface area, such as in a vehicle, limit the amount of bass to the main door speakers, and use a set of dedicated midbass drivers with a narrow bandwidth in the kick panel areas, if done correctly, you can halve the amount of FMD distortion.

More reading for the interested:

https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5...00_Distortion_in_Audio_635110477100100000.pdf

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For a cheap and easy (and surprisingly good sounding) system in our trucks, I have always had good results from a real good set of 4X6s in the dash, and 6.75" in the lower doors. Yes, I know I can get better staging out of kick panels, but this works pretty well. I run my front outputs to the dash speakers, and my rear outputs to the door speakers and play with the fade until I get a real good stage. Then I adjust the subwoofer to taste. Even with a POS Pioneer that was put in there before I got it, it sounds pretty decent for a truck. Oh, and I dyna-matted my doors, that helped a lot too.

Brian9o12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont want to have cut plastic though.
Understandable. But here's how mine came out. Now if I wanted to make it look super stock I could've fiberglassed these to make them look badass. Too bad I'm lazy :)
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
now one thing I will say is that this looks a lot better in person and the phone light tends to bring every little imperfection to attention. They sound great and everyone in my backseat ask me to turn down the volume. I did run new wiring as I didn't want to use 21 year old wiring ;-) any questions feel free to ask. Ps someone mentioned not being able to hear the back speakers.. I gaurentee you I can hear them even with the kicker 6x4's I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ps someone mentioned not being able to hear the back speakers.. I gaurentee you I can hear them even with the kicker 6x4's I had.

I don't think anyone here mentioned anything like that...

We were discussing the fact that you don't really want that much sound coming from the rear speakers if you care about sound quality.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dinosaur, huh?

This is the home system I spend the most time listening to. (Cheap-ass Velodyne 12" and PC with HT Omega Claro Halo sound card not pictured) My time alignment adjustments are basically restricted to changing the length of the speaker wire. :lol: I wish I had the knowledge and money to play with some of the stuff you've posted, I'm just a lowly dumb budget guy. I love learning about this stuff, though. Some of my earliest memories are playing with my dad's old JVC JR-S201 receiver. Which reminds me, I need to take that thing out of storage and figure out what's wrong with it.

Apologies to OP for turning this thread into a clusterf*ck, just enjoying the conversation.

Some of those older speakers can rock so with that enjoy this song.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always liked the sound of a classical guitar. I dabble playing myself but I was never good enough to justify picking up a classical. Awesome instruments in the right hands.

Cool video, that guy is good! And it sounded great over the dinosaur speakers and receiver. :lol: