Speaker Upgrade Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I have the Polk db's in my truck and I like them a lot for the money when the bottom is taken out of the mix with a sub.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a bit of experience putting stereos in GMT400s, and have to agree with most of what was said above. I have found that the Memphis 4x6 with the aimable tweets sound amazing in a lower cost system. They're a little deep, but they'll go in. Get a small 4x35-50 watt amp (RMS) and dont try to run the full wattage all the time and you'll have good headroom. I normally run the stock rear speakers because they are always turned down so far, but a set of cheap pioneers or sonys from Walmart will work fine too. I also recommend putting a set of good 6-6.5" speakers (I like Memphis because of the aimable tweets) in your front doors. This maintains the front stage, and fills in a little girth in the 60-140hz range-makes the snare snap real well. Run the dash and door speakers off of the amp, and run the rear speakers off of the head unit.

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've currently got a 10" Polk Audio sub in a square 12" box. Sounds great but I'd like to custom build a sub box that would fit under the rear seat of my '97 extended cab. It's too much of hassle removing the sub when I want to use It's going to be an odd size, roughly 6-7" clearance in the rear and ~9 1/2" in the front. Crutchfield calls for a .66 cu. ft. sealed box. I can get that with a wider, flatter box but will the change in shape change the performance?

Anyone build an under the rear seat box and have the dimensions available?

Thanks,
Steve

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to use the factory speaker wires for the 4x6 speakers but I heard that it wouldn't sound as good if one were to upgrade to rewire better speaker wires all the way to the head unit also some time back at Car Toyz I heard some MB Quarts 4x6 speakers boy did they ever sound good but they were powered with a amp I have written this before one could place 6x9 speakers in those gray boxes that are made just to place 6x9 speakers in them in another thing this amp below you could place it under your dash then run your sub with another amp as I did oh the amp below is plug and play easy to hook up.

Detailed item info

Product Identifiers
Brand Alpine
Model KTP-445U
MPN KTP-445U
UPC 093276011917, 4958043541782, 793276011916

Key Features
Amplifier Type Multi Channels
Channels 4
RMS Power at 2 Ohms 180 W x 4
RMS Power at 4 Ohms 180 W x 4

Performance