Speaker Upgrade Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshsb

Reaction score
Background: I got the truck ('93 reg cab) with an "upgraded" system - 10" subs, 4x6's in the dash powered by an aftermarket head unit, and rear pillar 4x6's powered by a 200w 2 chan amp. Dash speakers have been blown out since I got it, so I was running the subs and rear speakers for a while - sounded pretty good but was always curious what it would sound like with dash speakers. Now my amp (cheap model and old, the receipt showed the system was put in >10 years ago) shorted out and blew the rear speakers so i'm left with the subs. I'm planning on getting this amp:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110DUB4100/Jensen-DUBa4100.html

I will probably only get 1 set of speakers to start, not looking to spend a lot of money. My question is would I be better off pursuing the dash or rear speakers? Any experience with how a 4" speaker or a 4" plate setup sounds in the front/rear in a regular cab or would i be ok with a set of 4x6's? subs have a separate amp and will still be handling the bass.

Josh

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Background: I got the truck ('93 reg cab) with an "upgraded" system - 10" subs, 4x6's in the dash powered by an aftermarket head unit, and rear pillar 4x6's powered by a 200w 2 chan amp. Dash speakers have been blown out since I got it, so I was running the subs and rear speakers for a while - sounded pretty good but was always curious what it would sound like with dash speakers. Now my amp (cheap model and old, the receipt showed the system was put in >10 years ago) shorted out and blew the rear speakers so i'm left with the subs. I'm planning on getting this amp:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110DUB4100/Jensen-DUBa4100.html?tp=35782

I will probably only get 1 set of speakers to start, not looking to spend a lot of money. My question is would I be better off pursuing the dash or rear speakers? Any experience with how a 4" speaker or a 4" plate setup sounds in the front/rear in a regular cab or would i be ok with a set of 4x6's? subs have a separate amp and will still be handling the bass.

Josh
If you were planning on "cooking" your speakers that "amp" would work. Otherwise you might want to try a link that doesn't go to a food warmer.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Audio has been a hobby with me for a long time, although I have to admit I'm mostly interested in home audio. If I were in your situation, I would first put in quality speakers in the dash. I really do not believe that in a truck the speakers have to cost a lot of money to deliver quality audio. Because you have a sub, they do not have to deliver a lot of bass either.

My reason for opting for front speakers first is that the stereo "imaging" will be much more natural if the sound comes from in front of you.

That Jensen amp should deliver sufficient power and quality to power the speakers easily, and can accommodate rear speakers when you find the time and money to install a set. For the dash, even though I'm not sure there are any really good 4 x 6 speakers available, I'd still go with that size because they will install easily, and again, you do not need a bunch of bass since you have the sub.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're definitely on the right track, and I agree about replacing the front speakers first. Personally though, I wouldn't bother amping them at all. Set the HPF on your head unit to 100-120hz or so and let the subs do the work down low. 4x6s don't take much power at all to run, the 15x4 or so from your head unit will be plenty. If you insist on amping them I'd at least look for something other than a Jensen, they're cheap for a reason.

Polk has some good 4x6s for around $70 a set that I recommend often, the db series. You can definitely do 4" components in an adapter plate if you want something nicer, but then you're looking at more money for minimal gains. I run amped 4" components in the rear of my regular cab truck and honestly if I had to do it again I'd probably put way less effort into speakers that small.

joshsb

Reaction score
Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're definitely on the right track, and I agree about replacing the front speakers first. Personally though, I wouldn't bother amping them at all. Set the HPF on your head unit to 100-120hz or so and let the subs do the work down low. 4x6s don't take much power at all to run, the 15x4 or so from your head unit will be plenty. If you insist on amping them I'd at least look for something other than a Jensen, they're cheap for a reason.

Polk has some good 4x6s for around $70 a set that I recommend often, the db series. You can definitely do 4" components in an adapter plate if you want something nicer, but then you're looking at more money for minimal gains. I run amped 4" components in the rear of my regular cab truck and honestly if I had to do it again I'd probably put way less effort into speakers that small.
X2 on not amping the speakers, and just amping the sub. I have Pioneer in my doors, in my rear pillers, a Sony explod 10 in a custom box behind the back seat, and a 680 watt pioneer amp that is bridged to push the 10 sub. It is plenty, although I have thought about replacing my door speakers with some 6x9s. This would take some cutting, but I know they will fit into the space in the door. I have 6x9s in my Toyota 4 runner in the doors, and they put out a lot more sound. Also I agree about the Jensens. They are cheep for a reason. I tried a 15 pioneer sub in my duaghters truck. We swapped it for a Sony. The Sony is a much better sub.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting solution df2x4. I found some polk plate 4x6's on sale:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/lp/p...Tdzc4W59zb4wEOrvly0yk60DqlaarT9ZnuxoCpwjw_wcB

Here's the stereo i have:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwood...ulti/4738700.p?id=1219810831843&skuId=4738700

50w per channel, but 88w RMS. Does this jive with the 50w RMS of the speakers?

how do the regular db461s or 462's compare to the plates? Would i want to go one way or the other considering it'll be my primary mid/high speaker?

Those are the Polks I was talking about, they're great. Run them in a few other vehicles in the past. Like I said, I'd go with them over 4" rounds just for the sake of simplicity. They'll do what you want just fine.

As for the stereo... Don't believe the specs on that Best Buy link. No head unit exists that will do more than 20Wx4 RMS, and those are some extremely fancy newer Alpines. Your Kenwood will deliver somewhere in the neighborhood of 15Wx4 at 4 Ohms RMS. But like I said, that's plenty for 4x6s. I run 25W RMS per channel to the amped 4" DLS components in the rear of my red truck and it drives them hard.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He edited to the correct link 13 minutes after I posted it.

I swear this site changes certain links at random. I posted a thread in the help section about it but haven't heard anything back. Weird.