Spark Plug boots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never made a spark plug wire before. First time for everything.

Holy **** these boots are a pain in the ass. I spent an hour making one wire and I still don't have the boot on right. I used WD-40 for lube.

What's the trick for these things? It can't really be that hard.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WD40 isnt the best lube, try something like di-electric grease
^^^X2, I use dielectric grease (lots of it) for assembling the plug wires but, nothing on the high temp sleeves. Don't strip the wire until you push it through the boot, then strip, fold back the electrode, crimp, and pull the wire back into the boot, making sure the connector is pointing up. On a 90° boot you may have to use a pick to pull the wire a little and point it out of the boot then push it from behind.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gently used needle nose pliers to coerce the metal plugs through the 90° boots. If I remember right, I bent the plugs at a 45° angle to get them through the boots, and then finished them to the 90° angle afterwards. The boots can flex pretty well, so use that to your advantage. Your main concern is that the metal plug ends can cut the silicone rubber boots fairly easily.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Should be able to buy individual spark plug wires at a parts store. At least, I used to see them in a rack--various lengths, various boot styles.

2. When installing a full set of new wires, I always buy the plug wires that have the spark plug end factory-made, then cut-to-length and crimp-on the distributor end and boot. The factory spark plug end is the end that gets manhandled and needs to be ultra-secure. The distributor end lives an easier life.

3. A GOOD crimping tool for plug wires makes the job go enormously easier. Shytty crimping tools will make you wish you'd never opened the hood.