[Solved] 700r4 - Hard 1-2 shift, 2-3 light but not soft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanguy426

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 1991 GMC Sierra k2500. My transmission shifts pretty hard into second gear, and you can definitely feel it shift into 3rd but it's not anywhere near the 2nd gear shift. Everything after 3rd is fine.

I have checked my TV cable. It's as tight as it can go, and when moving it to WOT by hand, it doesn't adjust at all, no ratcheting whatsoever. It just stays completely pushed back. There's a very mild amount of slack in it that gets taken away the second the throttle is moved even a little bit, so I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. It's tight at WOT.

It seems like if I push my gas pedal harder, the 1-2 shift tends to be a little softer than at light throttle.

Downshifts are fine, don't feel thing coming to a stop.

Going into drive or reverse.... Well, you definitely notice/feel it and hear it, but it's not chirping the tires, or near as hard as 1-2.

Any tips on this? I'm thinking of replacing the TV cable regardless as I've heard it should adjust at least 1 click. Anything is appreciated.

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay y'all - 1992 700R4 - I too have been having the firm 1-2 shift, 3-4 not as hard.

After reading the link attached by TravisR.

I pushed the reset button/tab on the TV cable - pushed the plunger all the way back (toward the firewall) and released the reset tab.

Then I did the **WOT thing. The plunger didn't move. Test drive revealed "that **** ain't right" it didn't shift 1st to 2nd until about 30 mph. Thought I was going to rip the tranny out!!!

Back home.... I pushed the reset tab in and the plunger came out 1/2 maybe 3/4 of an inch. Test drive was better. Shifted 1-2 at 30 mph, but pretty damn hard.

I guess my question is.... to soften the shift points. Does the plunger go in (towards the firewall) or out (towards the radiator)?

** Shouldn't the plunger adjust when the WOT thing is done? Mine didn't - thinking my TV cable maybe jacked up? It also takes a hell of a lot of pushing to get the reset tab to push in.

Last edited:

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - The secret for getting the plunger to reset is to do the WOT thing from inside the truck. Couldn't pull it hard enough by hand.

Push the plunger toward the firewall to firm up shifts after the reset position if needed/wanted. Be careful, One or two notches/clicks makes a noticable difference.

ryanguy426

Reaction score
OK - The secret for getting the plunger to reset is to do the WOT thing from inside the truck. Couldn't pull it hard enough by hand.

Push the plunger toward the firewall to firm up shifts after the reset position if needed/wanted. Be careful, One or two notches/clicks makes a noticable difference.

Yup, this was the solution for me. Floored the gas pedal and it clicked a bunch of times.

WARNING FOR ANYONE WHO DOES IT THIS WAY!

The cable was WAY too loose after doing this. Every shift was stacked and soft (not much spacing between shifts). When you road test, BRING A SCREWDRIVER TO FINETUNE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!

For anyone else fairly new to adjusting these or just needing it for reference, here's where your shift points should be. This is easy to find online if you'd like to confirm my numbers. This is pulled from Summit Racing.

1-2…………………15-20 MPH
2-3…………………25-30 MPH
3-4…………………40-45 MPH

I can almost guarantee you that your TV cable will need immediate adjustment. Like Texvet said, one click makes a lot of difference. I adjusted one click at a time every time I stopped on the side of the road until I could feel the 1-2 and 3-4 shift, but not feel it BANG into gear like it will if it's too tight.

REMEMBER, YOU WANT TO FEEL YOUR SHIFTS!
Soft shifts = slipping which equals wear and extra heat in your transmission.

Firmer shifts = more line pressure, better apply pressure on your clutches, longer life (as long as it's not banging into gear!)

Also don't forget - the TV cable isn't just shift points adjustment. It controls the fluid pressure in the transmission! If the cable is too loose, your pressure will be too low, and you'll burn up your transmission.

If you're unsure after adjusting, go one extra click. Better to be a little high on pressure than too low.

Remember: You want to feel it shift gears, not bang into them or make your head rock back and fourth.