Solid Axle Swaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I am playing with the idea of doing a SAS swap to my 93. Id like to run tires in the 36-38" range. Im gonna use the ORU kit as Im not a master fabricator. How much lift does a SAS give you, I dont want a monster truck and I dont want to have too much lift for my tires. What kinda front axle would be the best, a D60 would be wicked but I think it would be overkill and expensive for the tires I want to run. Thanks for your expertise.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I had heard the kit itself gives you 4 inches of lift, then add whatever lift springs you use.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
The oru kit itself will give 3 inches of lift with 0 lift springs. That is nearly impossible to run due to limited up travel with the dif and oil pan. The lowest you could do would probably be around 5 inches which is where my SAS got me with some 2.5 inch lift springs. A d44 would work good for what you want to do granted you don't beat the piss out of it off road.

Here is my truck with the SAS plus a 3 inch body lift and 37s.
You must be registered for see images attach

And here it is with 35s.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
How hard of wheeling do you want to do? Plenty of guys have gotten by on a D44 and they can be built to take hell and so can the GM 10 bolts which are easier to find and often cheaper but like everything else bigger is better, but I'll have to let the SAS guys get down to the real nitty gritty for ya, I'm still in the early stages.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Yea I have the ORU kit and it's 3 inches plus what ever size spring you choose to run. I have 8 inch springs and I'm on 38s now and I'm sure I can tuck 40s no problem. So you may want like 4 or 6 inch springs for 37s. I have a Dana 44 and do very mild wheeling and it holds up fine. I'd love a Dana 60 but don't have the money right now.

JoeyD

Reaction score
I run 4in springs with 37's. I did rub the front bumper corners though.

Red97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made my own brackets that net about 3.5" of lift, and stock 52" Chevy rear springs with 2 leafs added. it sits at about 8" of lift. here's a pic with some 36's it doesn't rub at all.

I'm running a d 60 out of a newer ford 1986 it has the wider spring pad width but you can get them complete around here for around 500$

92SAS

Reaction score
I used A HP Dana60 (78-79 ford) and a 14bolt FF. I went with overkill on axles because
I wanted an all round truck. I need to be able to drive it to the trails wheel it and drive it home.
So Far so good

4x4eskimo

Reaction score
I used A HP Dana60 (78-79 ford) and a 14bolt FF. I went with overkill on axles because
I wanted an all round truck. I need to be able to drive it to the trails wheel it and drive it home.
So Far so good

I am looking at doing the same set up here. Any advice on starting? I have the same goals as you as I need to be able to drive myself home. What kit did you use?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Any advice on starting?

Research, research, research... Read as many build threads as you can, as many tech articles as you can stand, and threads that cover steering, brakes, and the geometry of SAS. Your most valuable tool in this project is your internet connection, its also the cheapest part of the project.