So I wanna replace my turn signal/wiper stalk, I think.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
'89 C3500 Silverado with Cruise and Intermittent wipers.

Today, I turned the key on and the wipers started. The Low and High speed settings work but the Intermittent speeds are all "Low" (non-intermittent.)

And the wipers would not STOP without the key removed, so of course they stopped in the middle of their travel at that time.

Oh, but the "Off" position must have briefly worked, as another key-on event later allowed the wiper to go back to the at-rest position.

Question 1:
Is this a bad turn signal/wiper stalk? All the markings are pretty much gone ...

Question 2:
Given that the GM original is less than stellar, is there a good aftermarket brand I should look at?

Question 3:
Is there a stalk from a later-generation GM that would also work, better?

Question 4:
Can I just swap in a Honda or Toyota part so that this never happens again? :)

Thanks!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What makes you think that "the GM original is less than stellar"? It's 29 years old!

You may have a circuit board issue in the wiper motor.... they're known to go bad. Sometimes you can fix them just by heating up all the solder joints, although, I've never had to do it.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like the wiper board.

BUT. If you're gung-ho on replacing the turn signal stalk; I'm sure LMC truck or Rock Auto can supply a suitable replacement.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's the board in the wiper motor. A little tougher to remove for service on the 88-90 version, than the 91-up...but 100% can be done. Get it apart and re-solder the joints where the harness socket attaches to the circuit board.

Richard

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, thank guys. No, I do not want to replace the stalk if not needed. I didn't realize the brain of the system was in the wiper motor.

I found a video for a '96 that gives me some idea of what to look for.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That video will "kinda" help. As I said the 1988-1990 motor is very different from the 1991-up. You do not have the same easy-to-remove cover and circuit board. Yours has a kind of square cap on it that once you remove the screws, you also unclip some tabs (careful don't break 'em) and slide the board, which is rectangular, out of the motor. Still has the same issues with the socket where it solders to the board. That's what fails on these motors...the joints go bad from heat cycles and vibration, crack, and the thing loses its mind. Very easy to fix.

As far as the turn signal stalk up through 1994, the only components actually in the stalk are the switch and button for the cruise control. The wipers are remotely operated by the stalk, the electrical portion of the wiper switch is inside the column and very rarely goes bad.

Richard

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking in terms of how to remove the wiper mother that video would help? I realize it doesn't get into how to take it apart. It'll be awhile before I tackle this task.

Good to know it can be repaired with some solder.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 1991-up you can just pull the plastic cover and pop the circuit board out. The 1988-1990 you can *probably* do with the motor still mounted to the truck, but I can't recall - it's been too many years. I think there's at least a couple screws hidden on the back side of the rectangular area, down by the base of the motor. :(

Again, fuzzy memory is my enemy here. You might be able to slide the board out by simply popping the tabs on that top cap near the socket, leaving the rectangular plastic housing in place.

Richard

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Last time I looked for a pulse board for my 88 I couldn’t find a replacement. I ended up buying a junkyard 92 wiper motor and swapping in as the newer style pulse board is readily available everywhere I’ve looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I replaced the pulse boards in both our Suburbans(a '99 & a '95) about three years ago,took maybe ten minutes each and did them while still on the firewall.Very easy.They are Dorman products and are still working well.Some folks dislike Dorman parts but I have several and have not had any problems with them.

Pulse board p/n: Dorman 906-136

btw...LmcTruck calls it a wiper delay module http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/865w/0141.jpg

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-906-1...qid=1534911569&sr=8-1&keywords=Dorman+906-136

Last edited: