So I just blew up my 4L60E.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, my relatively stock 4.3 just took out my 4L60E. Shifting into 3rd it just started pinging off of the rev limiter. Let off, sure enough 3rd is toast. First and second are still fine, engine runs smooth. It's in the garage on a trickle charger until I can arrange a tow to my shop of choice. I'm already planning on throwing in a TransGo kit while it's being rebuilt, anything else I should be aware of? Anything else I should do while they're in there? Shop of choice is owned by a close family friend who I know will do me right, just wondering what all I should do while the tranny is pulled and being rebuilt. Mods are fairly tame. K&N intake with Amsoil EA filter, full Gibson cat-back, Pacesetter shorty headers, BBP tune, throttle body blade fin removed. Truck is a '97 V6 RCLB 2WD with 140K original miles and it's staying a V6/10 bolt/4L60E. Any input is appreciated, thanks guys!

EDIT - BBP tune removed 100% of factory torque management. While this has proved to be an awesome thing for quick shifts, is it going to be detrimental to the life of my new trans? If so I can always swap back to my factory PCM. All opinions are welcome.

Last edited:

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I hate to hear that. Sounds like you have everything lined up. I like it when people come into my shop and have done their research and know what to expect. A lot of shops don't put in a beast sunshell with stock rebuilds so I would ask him about that. And a good servo. Other than that sounds like you have everything covered.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, rhino. To clarify, when you say the beast you're talking about this guy, correct?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-373900/overview/

Also what is your opinion on upgrading servos while it's out? If it's a good idea, would you go with TCI or Sonnax?

EDIT - Just noticed you said to do servo(s). Question stands, TCI or Sonnax? Also why did you phrase that singular? Is it not necessary to do both?

Last edited:

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally, I like the superior servo. A vette servo however is better than stock. Any upgrade is a good upgrade. http://www.rhinotransmissionparts.com/blogs/servo/17218799-what-servo-do-i-really-want

Most of the time we do the 2/4 servo. If someone is pulling or has big tires we will do the 4th gear billet cap as well.

Thats the beast! Way over priced there thought. They are around $50.00. The stock "hardened" shell is around $25 so its not that much more.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you! Didn't realize you had a site that sold these things, looks like I'll likely be buying my stuff from you. Might not be for a week or two, though. My buddy's shop is nice enough to install parts I bring in so I'll probably go ahead and buy the beast, TransGo HD2, plus both billet servos and just have him do those while it's in there.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got my parts from rhino yesterday, crazy fast shipping! Made the call to the shop to schedule the rebuild today, waiting on a call back to set the date. I'm excited to see what kind of a difference the servos and shift kit make. I have experience with the Transgo kits in TH350s but this is my first set of 4L60E upgrades. Now if I can just budget for that Detroit Locker/4.10s install... :)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Work is scheduled to begin tomorrow morning! My buddy who owns the shop is going to come get my truck with his flatbed wrecker. Thought about using my AAA membership to get a free tow up there, but I just couldn't bring myself to accept that they might drag it with the front wheels still on the ground.

Zabo

Reaction score
You do know that if you ask AAA for a tow and request a flatbed due to damage they should send one. I always do with my vehicles and they get the guy with the flatbed. At least that's how my experiences with them have been up north. How much is your rebuild running installed w/ parts? Local shop I've dealt with is looking to charge $2K for a similar build. Granted mine is a 4x4.