Snapped Exsaust manifold bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi I have a 96 k2500 5.7 vortec and noticed my Exsaust manifold was cracked so for now I used manifold cement but want headers anyway upon further inspection I noticed two bolts are missing I bet they broke off in the head no leaks but with headers I know that won't fly any suggestions on how to remove busted bolt in head driver side is last one by firewall and pass side is last one up by radaitor any ideas would be great thanks. Oh and an after market y pipe with cats true daul that's 2.5 inches in and out looking for that as well thanks for your time.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the stubs are long enough, PB blaster, gentle taps with a hammer, and a little heat with a torch. Tap the stub, spray on some penetrant and give it lots of time, heat it up. Be patient, and persistent.

If they are broken off inside the head, you may have to drill and tap them out.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked the spot where they are suppose to be.. they may just be missing.... I've had a few trucks that they where... just a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Baighn92

Reaction score
I had a broke stud past flush with the surface. I center punched it, drilled it and then hammed a Torx bit in it. You have to drill the hole so the torx bit barely fits so there is as much grip as possible when you hammer the torx bit in there. Don't use too large of a torx bit or it will dilate the stud and it will make the problem worse.
Once the torx bit is hammered in as far as it will go, I just unscrewed the the stud out with a ratchet.
Tried the stud extractors...they suck