Smoking '91

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bama92

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here and I need some help. So I have a 91 silverado with a 350 small block in it and it is smoking bad. Its white smoke and it has a sweet smell to it. I've heard two explanations for this. It could either be leaking/blown head gasket, or somehow ATF gettin sucked up from some where and burned but i don't have any idea how to check that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bama92

Reaction score
Generally water gives you white smoke, oil gives you blue smoke. Are you losing coolant?

I believe I am. And I've tried blue devil block sealer that was recommended by a few people but it didn't seem to work so I'm assuming its a bigger problem than I originally anticipated. So what the best way to fix this??

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And I've tried blue devil block sealer that was recommended by a few people

Unfortunately you've probably made the problem worse than it needed to be by doing that. All those stop-leak in a can products solidify inside the engine and cooling system and clog everything up. IMO they should only be used as a last resort on a vehicle that you know is destined for the scrap yard and just need it to last another month. I'd never put that stuff in a vehicle I cared about.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
It could also be eating coolant from a leaking intake gasket. Put a pressure tester on the rad and see if it builds pressure quickly and or builds excessive pressure. Those are signs of a head gasket leaking into the water jacket.

Another possibility is a cracked head or loose exhaust valve seat ,either of these can allow coolant into the combustion chamber and cause white smoke/sweet exhaust smell.

Unless you have a THM400 you will not be sucking ATF into the system.

Bama92

Reaction score
Awesome guys I really appreciate the help. I have a few things to check that should keep me busy for a while.

SHRT 1

Reaction score
Pull the plugs, pressurize the cooling system for a couple of hours - have someone crank it over & look for coolant coming out of the plug holes.