smog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis Bowser

Reaction score
Hello I'm new hear, I have a 88 350 in my parts truck it has the smog crap. The truck I'm putting in it is a 88 also but has a 91 350 according to the heads it has the ac brackets I would like to switch that to my good engine so to delete the smog pump do I need a chip in the ecu I don't want to give up any milage. Any feed back would be helpful.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello I'm new hear, I have a 88 350 in my parts truck it has the smog crap. The truck I'm putting in it is a 88 also but has a 91 350 according to the heads it has the ac brackets I would like to switch that to my good engine so to delete the smog pump do I need a chip in the ecu I don't want to give up any milage. Any feed back would be helpful.
Not today EPA ;)

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to switch that to my good engine so to delete the smog pump do I need a chip in the ecu I don't want to give up any milage.
To answer your question, no. Why would you want to eliminate it? The loss of power is just belt tension and minimal. If you replace the A.I.R. pump and have A/C, you'll need to fabricate a spacer, the pump mounting bracket is used as a spacer for the A/C compressor.

Besides, it's illegal!

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, you would need to reprogram the ECU(TBI so it would need to be a flashed PROM I believe) in order for it to run right. Since you have top ask.. you probably would not have a good experience with that. I would highly recommend you not mess with it and just put it all back stock.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you would need to reprogram the ECU(TBI so it would need to be a flashed PROM I believe) in order for it to run right.
Well, the A.I.R. pump is used to help fire off the Cat when cold. There are no downstream O2 sensors, just the one in front of it so, the ECM doesn't know if it's working or not.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, the A.I.R. pump is used to help fire off the Cat when cold. There are no downstream O2 sensors, just the one in front of it so, the ECM doesn't know if it's working or not.
I know it won't throw a code, but the ECU is running the engine rich so that the AIR pump can fire off that unburned fuel in the exhaust. Without the pump working, you aren't pumping in the air and it's going to be running pig rich.

My point was that the ECU is dumb and won't know that things aren't working. It will just run like garbage and mess a bunch of other stuff up because it's dumb and doesn't know any better.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point was that the ECU is dumb and won't know that things aren't working. It will just run like garbage and mess a bunch of other stuff up because it's dumb and doesn't know any better.
I haven't had that problem before when stock, I did tune it a little when go fast parts were added :biggrin:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know it won't throw a code, but the ECU is running the engine rich so that the AIR pump can fire off that unburned fuel in the exhaust. Without the pump working, you aren't pumping in the air and it's going to be running pig rich.

It won't run any richer with or without the pump. Pumping air into the exhaust has zero effect on AFR inside the engine.