Smog Fail and Code 42

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
95 K1500 5.7L TBI... no codes no check engine light up until yesterday when we went to smog the truck to renew reg. They failed smog for timing being advanced 8*. On the way home check engine light came on. Scanned it with my OBD1 scanner and got a code 42 for timing control circuit fault.

My assumption without much research is this is like older Fords where there is a wire you disconnect to check the timing. I haven't actually looked for it on the truck but some googling and binging has lead me to think it could be in like 5 different places... anyone know for sure where it actually is? Perhaps the smog guy forgot to plug it back in... Anything else I need to check/worry about in regards to that?

As for the timing itself, we have not modified the timing or done anything with the distributor since the last smog 2 years ago. That said, I can borrow a timing light and test it myself. If it's off I am assuming spec is 0*? So I can try to play with the distributor. If I can't fix that I'm going to guess either distributor or timing chain... at 275K miles anything is possible but I've never had a timing chain issue on a SBC and it doesn't make any noises and always kept the oil full and at least somewhat clean-ish.

Thanks for your input in advance.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The wire you are looking for should be under the glovebox by the heater box unless for what ever reason yours is a odd ball. That is where my 95's is. It is brown with a black stripe. Yes timing is supposed to be set to 0 with that unplugged.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sloppy timing chain doesn't ADVANCE the timing.

Did you use a scan tool, or a code-reader? Big difference.

Fix the Code 42 using the diagnostic procedure in the service manual. See what happens.