SM465 Trans fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
So this will be for my 1989 snow plow truck. Its only used in the winter (30F or below) and its never used for more than 2 hours and never goes faster than 5mph.

I'm not sure if it has ever been changed but ever since I've had it it is tough to get into Reverse, Low and 1st (The only gears I ever use). I just want it to be able to slide into these gears easier to make plowing faster and more enjoyable.

What would you guys recommend? I dont mind paying more for synthetic or oil with syncro-mesh type additives if it'll work better. I know it recommends something like 80w-90 gear oil but thats for all weather driving and mine it pretty specific winter only. I only want to do this once and not have to worry about it again.

Oh, and since I'm at it, what would you recommend for the transfer case as well? I never shift it out of 4 low but I'll replace that with the trans fluid since I'm under there.

Thanks!