sm465 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
But anyways back to the original topic..

Other than pedals and a master cylinder out of our trucks. Can I use the clutch and fly wheel that would go behind our motors? Or would I have to get one for the older cdi motors?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
It will have to be a vortec flywheel, they are weighted different/different bolt circle. Pressure plate should stay with the flywheel. you can put whatever clutch you want in the middle (i think they are the same). You will need to add a pilot bushing to the crankshaft. Run the slave/fork out of the sm465. I don't think any auto transfer cases cross over to a manual tho, you will need to change your transfer case input shaft or get the trans and t-case out of the same truck.

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
Ok thats what I was thinking. Thanks boss. And any tcase with the 6 bolt pattern and 32 spline input will work

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

EDIT: but the 32 spline 6 bolt tail housing was the later sm465's i think like 1975-1991. before then it was the 10 spline output for the 4wd and the 35 spline output for the 2wd

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Ok thats what I was thinking. Thanks boss. And any tcase with the 6 bolt pattern and 32 spline input will work

Looks like you know more about the transfer case fitment than i do. I did'n fool with that part, my manual came with a transfer case attached.

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
Yeah I want to run my pdrop 241 behind the 465 to get a super low, low range to make crawling way easier

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
also from what i've been reading the input shaft is the same size and same spline count as an nv4500 so i think this will be a relatively bolt in swap