Sm465 shift problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 1989 Chevy 2500 with an sm465. The problem is, is that I can shift gears for all of 10 minutes till the truck gets warm then it won't go into gear. ANY GEAR. I have to turn it off and put it into gear. I've had people tell me it's the clutch, throw out bearing, or slave cylinder. I put a new slave cylinder in about a year and a half ago. And it has been driven probably a couple dozen times since then because I bought a new truck. Now I'm selling that truck and am going to drive this Chevy for the next couple months so I'd like to get it fixed. Thanks

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same problem with an NV4500. Turned out to be a shot throw out bearing. Unfortunately the problem has come back. This time I suspect the pilot bearing in the flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
can you rev-match shift it into gear? how does the clutch pedal feel when it has this problem? and are there any noises happening when you have this problem?

I would be surprised if you have an internal transmission problem with that trans but its still a possibility. If you can rev-match shift without depressing the clutch then that would rule out internal trans problems and you can buy a quality clutch kit (With TO and Pilot bearing) and fix it. Noises when depressing the clutch would be another indicator of clutch problems where a clutch kit would fix it.

but if the clutch doesn't feel right, like the pedal engagement is too low and gets lower as its driving then that could be a master cylinder or slave cylinder problem. You could try bleeding it before replacing these first if you have this issue.

Caldwell

Reaction score
can you rev-match shift it into gear? how does the clutch pedal feel when it has this problem? and are there any noises happening when you have this problem?

I would be surprised if you have an internal transmission problem with that trans but its still a possibility. If you can rev-match shift without depressing the clutch then that would rule out internal trans problems and you can buy a quality clutch kit (With TO and Pilot bearing) and fix it. Noises when depressing the clutch would be another indicator of clutch problems where a clutch kit would fix it.

but if the clutch doesn't feel right, like the pedal engagement is too low and gets lower as its driving then that could be a master cylinder or slave cylinder problem. You could try bleeding it before replacing these first if you have this issue.

If I'm all ready running at higher speeds I can rev match but the transmission doesn't like it. And the clutch pressure feels the same whether it's going into gear or WONT go into gear. I just find that odd.