slow engagement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fletch

Reaction score
The older trucks 88-94? have an front axle actuator that is filled with gas and the gas is heated and expands and that is what pushes the pin to engage the front drive shaft. Over time the gas could leak out or the heating element could take longer to heat. This is what causes the delay. The newer trucks 95-98 have an electric actuator and when engaged the motor pushes out the pin engaging the front axle much faster. You can convert the older models to the newer style actuator or install a manual cable actuator.

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My goes in quick as long as my truck is warm already but if i haven't been driving it at all that dayit will take 30sec or more to go in.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine on my '91 engages instantly but sometimes takes 30 seconds or more to disengage

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine usually engages instantly but it was -15 last friday and i got on a off street that hadn't gotten plowed yet so i went to engage it and i got the gears grinding sound so i was like wtf stopped tryed it again and my diff locked up and span me side ways and poped the transfer case back in 2wd. stopped again and engadged it and it worked perfectly fine..the guy shoveling his drive way gave me the"damn kids stop reving your truck in my neighborhood" with his fist in the air...gonna go with that it was just cold...

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The older trucks 88-94?

I've been told by those that own them, 97.

........The newer trucks 95-98 have an electric actuator and when engaged the motor pushes out the pin engaging the front axle much faster.

My 99 is slow..... always has been. I hate that. It's a stupid design. GM should have gone with locking and unlocking at the hubs. My 81 Chevy LUV (100% Isuzu) had manual hubs and would engage four wheel drive as fast as I could shift the transfercase. Yet in my 99 I've got to wait! :thumbsdown:

fletch

Reaction score
I've been told by those that own them, 97.

My 99 is slow..... always has been. I hate that. It's a stupid design. GM should have gone with locking and unlocking at the hubs. My 81 Chevy LUV (100% Isuzu) had manual hubs and would engage four wheel drive as fast as I could shift the transfercase. Yet in my 99 I've got to wait! :thumbsdown:

A buddy of mine has a '94 and it was the gas actuator, mine is a '98 and it's electric. so idk. Mine works as soon as I push the button. I can hear the actuator engage and the transfer case engage aswell. I also replaced mine when I bought the truck 8 months ago so maybe that has something to do with it?