Sloppy Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jman1151

Reaction score
I replaced my steering box, and that made all the difference in the world. I got a new box @ O-Reilly for less than $200. My truck has the best steering feel it has ever had. There is no slack(slop) what so ever. I have had this truck for 10 years. My truck has always had a little slop in the steering box until now. Just be sure that if you replace the box that you get a new box and not a rebuilt one. I think it is only 10 or 20 dollars more for new.

I also replaced the steering box and NAPA was not so kind to me. So far it seemed to help. Tomorrow off to get an aliment and wheels balanced. Wish me luck! OH and thanks for the ideas

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I also replaced the steering box and NAPA was not so kind to me. So far it seemed to help. Tomorrow off to get an aliment and wheels balanced. Wish me luck! OH and thanks for the ideas

So what's the final verdict on your steering box replacement benefit? I'm looking into tightening up my steering as well.

-Alex

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tightened mine up 8 years ago but it still wasn't very good. And just last year I put a new Napa gear box in and it was a big improvement. I Wish I would have done it sooner.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I'm keeping a eye on this thread. I put a box on my truck about 7 years ago, pretty sure it's crapping out on me now.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

jman1151

Reaction score
OK the final word is steering still sucks! I have called the local Chevy dealer and they tell me that there are no new boxes available. Can that be true, am I stuck with putting in another reman box? I have replaced all tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman arm, rebuilt box and still not a safe feeling from this steering. Does the 1999 have the variable ratio steering box?
So what's the final verdict on your steering box replacement benefit? I'm looking into tightening up my steering as well.

-Alex

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a new box from O'Rileys for my 97. It works grate. No slop what so ever.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Check the rag joint. After almost 20 years it will most likely be toast.