Sloppy Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jman1151

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new to this forum so be easy with me LOL. I just picked up this 1999 2 door 2wd Tahoe and just love everything about it except the steering. At low speed less than 50 all seems ok but by the time you reach 60 or 70 she wanders all over the road. I have looked under it and all the tie rod and idler joints seem tight, what am I missing?

Attachments

• 10449518_901543083192235_3634167006865417861_n[1].jpg
    10449518_901543083192235_3634167006865417861_n[1].jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 64

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about your ball joints and sway bar end links? Bigger rims will wear out ball joints faster. Mine is sloppy all the time, but my issue is a combination of things. I just replaced my end links. My ball joints are shot, I think my tie rod ends may be bad, but the arm from the steering box to the steering linkage (pitman arm I think), has some play and needs to be replaced. Gonna get all that done the first part of next year. Just dealing with it for now.

BTW Good looking truck.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If everything is tight gave the alignment checked. The caster and or the toe measurements I bet are off.. shoot wheel bearing can cause it to.. lift the front off the ground and check everything so there is no real load on anything...

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
All the rubbers in the front end need to be in good shape or the vehicle can wander.

Might not hurt to spend the $50 on an alignment.

You could also check for steering slop in the gear box.

Does the vehicle actually want to wander? Or does the steering just seem unresponsive? The unresponsiveness would be because of the factory EVO system. Most of them are that way.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree on checking the box and the steering shaft for play. In that you have a 97 and later with the EVO, you need to see if someone unplugged the steering sensor below the column under the dash. The sensor commonly goes bad and a lot of people will just unplug the sensor giving full boost all of the time creating super light twitchy steering.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I replaced my steering box, and that made all the difference in the world. I got a new box @ O-Reilly for less than $200. My truck has the best steering feel it has ever had. There is no slack(slop) what so ever. I have had this truck for 10 years. My truck has always had a little slop in the steering box until now. Just be sure that if you replace the box that you get a new box and not a rebuilt one. I think it is only 10 or 20 dollars more for new.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on checking the box and the steering shaft for play. In that you have a 97 and later with the EVO, you need to see if someone unplugged the steering sensor below the column under the dash. The sensor commonly goes bad and a lot of people will just unplug the sensor giving full boost all of the time creating super light twitchy steering.

I did all the above, then I deleted the EVO completely by going to a 96 box and pump. It did help but steering going down the highway is still iffy. .... How ever, I do believe it's only because it's lifted and I'm running Nitto TG "p rated" tires on a lifted truck. With the soft sidewalls and the air that gets under the truck gives it a floaty feeling , I bet if it was stock or dropped it would feel a whole lot better....