Sloppy shifter - manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy 97

Reaction score
Sometimes the shift forks get worn. There will be extra movement in the shifter when that happens. The only way to know for sure is to take the top of the transmission off. Most of that wear comes from resting your hand on the transmission shifter when driving.

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
Sometimes the shift forks get worn. There will be extra movement in the shifter when that happens. The only way to know for sure is to take the top of the transmission off. Most of that wear comes from resting your hand on the transmission shifter when driving.

well i better stop resting my hand there lol what differences are their between the 3500 and 4500 besides it being more "stout"

kyotey1693

Reaction score
Thanks for the link i just might try one of those. I'm not ready to change the tranny just yet. I figure I might as well wear it out first. :)

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yep! If ya ain't shiftin', hand off the shifter, foot off the clutch. Best way to wear stuff out, by not doing those 2 simple things.
(Thanks, Dad!)

I have a bad habit of doing that in my console shift automatic cars. :rotflmao:

kyotey1693

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested I swapped in one of the core shifters and I'd say it was a pretty nice upgrade. It's a little short, took some getting used too, but very nice. Its a great piece and worth the money.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested I swapped in one of the core shifters and I'd say it was a pretty nice upgrade. It's a little short, took some getting used too, but very nice. Its a great piece and worth the money.

The Core shifter's arms are interchangeable with several others that they offer. They seem like pretty decent guys to work with. Maybe you could exchange the one that you have.
Did you get the one with the short throw? -30% Is what they advertise.
This was supposed to be a Christmas present from M&D to me, but they are sold out until just before then. With shipping, I probably won't get it till the second week of January. Aaargh!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Core also offers the ball that fits on the end of the shifter which fits into a cup inside the tranny. These wear out. GM no longer offers them. Apparently this helps to cure a bunch of the sloppiness.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I don't have a 3500 in front of me right now but most of the time changing the shifter bushings tightens up the slop a good bit. A shorter throw shifter will also reduce slop. I just made a short throw for my turbo car by using the factory shifter and changing the pivot points. Cost me about a dollar for a new bolt.