Skid plate corrosion around bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Is this corrosion common? I've cleaned it off a few times with a wire wheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm thinking maybe it's because of dissimilar metals. I think I have some old Noalox from when a friend did my electrical panel in the house. It's for use with aluminum wire, to prevent corrosion. Maybe I'll try that here..... any other ideas?

I haven't had these installed in a few years, and I'd like to get them back on the truck, now that I've got most of the really terrible leaks under control (PS hoses, oil cooler hoses, oil filter adapter, hydrobooster).

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both my 95's look like that. I had a 94 years ago and it was starting to look that way. My sisters boyfriend has a 98 and his looks that way as well. So I would assume that it is just normal ageing. Only thing I could think to help is maybe powder coat it. Or get it cleaned up well and prime and paint.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Both my 95's look like that. I had a 94 years ago and it was starting to look that way. My sisters boyfriend has a 98 and his looks that way as well. So I would assume that it is just normal ageing. Only thing I could think to help is maybe powder coat it. Or get it cleaned up well and prime and paint.

Hmm, you're in Nebraska so you've got road salt, like I do. If it's not galvanic, I wonder if it's just salt sitting up there and not washing out near the bolts and brackets. I think I'm likely to go ahead and try the Noalox or maybe anti-seize. My concern with the Noalox is that I have no idea if it would just wash off quickly.

Powder is too expensive at this point in the trucks life.... too much rust other places to worry about powder on the skid plates. Paint may be a good choice, Though. I've got a couple options on hand already, which I hadn't thought of, until you mentioned it. I've got some bright cold galvanizing that would look good, if its okay to use on aluminum.... I'll have to chack the back of the can. I've also got a couple different hammered paints, which would look decent, but also let me see how tough the stuff is.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, you're in Nebraska so you've got road salt, like I do. If it's not galvanic, I wonder if it's just salt sitting up there and not washing out near the bolts and brackets. I think I'm likely to go ahead and try the Noalox or maybe anti-seize. My concern with the Noalox is that I have no idea if it would just wash off quickly.

Powder is too expensive at this point in the trucks life.... too much rust other places to worry about powder on the skid plates. Paint may be a good choice, Though. I've got a couple options on hand already, which I hadn't thought of, until you mentioned it. I've got some bright cold galvanizing that would look good, if its okay to use on aluminum.... I'll have to chack the back of the can. I've also got a couple different hammered paints, which would look decent, but also let me see how tough the stuff is.

Well they don't use as much salt here as they used to. Yeah I figured powder coat would be out but figured it was worth mentioning. Another thought that came to mind. Maybe clean it up real good and use something like por-15 on them. I don't know if you can use that on aluminum or not.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well they don't use as much salt here as they used to. Yeah I figured powder coat would be out but figured it was worth mentioning. Another thought that came to mind. Maybe clean it up real good and use something like por-15 on them. I don't know if you can use that on aluminum or not.

Por-15 is a good thought. I need to redo the floor of the truck, so buying some will be something I do this summer, but I think I want to get the skid plates on before that. I really think I'm going to go with the hammered paint that I've already used on my water pump. It was the first time I've used it, and I've been pretty happy with it so far. I'd like to use it more places to really see what it will do.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Por-15 is a good thought. I need to redo the floor of the truck, so buying some will be something I do this summer, but I think I want to get the skid plates on before that. I really think I'm going to go with the hammered paint that I've already used on my water pump. It was the first time I've used it, and I've been pretty happy with it so far. I'd like to use it more places to really see what it will do.
Yeah the hammered paint would look cool to bad you wouldn't see it until you where under the truck. But if it holds up and keeps it from rotting away then thats all that matters.