single clunk from starter-starter problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You said your cable is bad good that you ordered a new one but like on my truck the small wire coming off the positive cable feeds power to the soleniod mine had all sorts of crud on it I replaced it and she works like a charm now.
Good luck! Roland

When I replaced the small wire coming off the positive cable I striped it all open it had crud from one end to the other so what I did before I replaced it I ran a wire from the soleniod up by my battery and on a hot day when it wouldn't turn over I would just open my hood and tap the wire on the positive post and she would turn on so I just left the wire there after I replaced the main wire just in case I was going to put a push button but im lazy I just hide it in engine compartment.

Last edited:

late98

Reaction score
there sure is alot of good help and good people here, gm products may be a pain in the ass but the people arent lol, i cant stand it, Brandon brought the negative cable to work today so i am going to go pull the starter to bench test tomorrow and replace the negative cable while cleaning up all its contacts and then try and stay calm and wait on the positive cable and clean up contact points, stealership said it could take up to 5 days..... im already biting nails and pulling hair.....

Kmac69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad starter they have them at autozone for 130. My truck just did this the other day.. 2 bolts and 2 nuts in and out..

late98

Reaction score
Bench tested it and it was good buddy at work said it was one of the strongest starters he'd seen in a while... Thinking relay now, it was clicking but could possibly not be holding... Going to test this, any other suggestions? By the way when cleaning up contact points and grounds, had the negative cable from the battery where it bolts to the block on and the wire that bolts on it hanging loose and went to start it and no click no nothing, so hooked it up and it did its usual click or rather heavy metal clunk, but something is off, no real irregularities every time I try and start it, same clunk, I've been reading on the passkey stuff but it says it will turn over a couple times if not start, then shut it off and the security light comes on with all trouble lights then goes off after a few seconds, and another problem I doubt is the ignition switch cause it responds every time I turn the key and if it was ignition it would be intermittent if it got power at all right, but I guess there's exceptions to every rule... Anyway just thought if update where I'm at on this gremlin

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At that point I would bolt it back in the truck and jumper across the power lug to the starter and try to see if it will start the truck that way, just to verify that you do have a good working starter, you could even temporarily run a +12v wire to your sol. and use a temporary switch to start it.

late98

Reaction score
UPDATE!

So after waiting forever for the cable i odered from the stealership(since i get a discount since the dealership i work at also owns a chevrolet dealership next door) just to find out it was the wrong cable cause apparently there are many different battery cable options for those years, but the cable i needed was in stock so i exchanged it and put it on today and bam starter kiked out and spun with it out so i bolted her up and there she blows it was the positive cable that goes directly to the starter and the alternator... a guy i work with that used to work next door said that is not really common but more common than not and went on to tell me he even changedthat wire out on his truck.... ooh well now to catch her up on maintenance all fluids etc... any things i need to pay attention to while im going to be under her, most things look good just dirty and oily nothing catches my eye but i feel better asking than going to battle empty handed.

Thanks all for help, hopefully someone else will search a starting issue and this will help them.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE!

So after waiting forever for the cable i odered from the stealership(since i get a discount since the dealership i work at also owns a chevrolet dealership next door) just to find out it was the wrong cable cause apparently there are many different battery cable options for those years, but the cable i needed was in stock so i exchanged it and put it on today and bam starter kiked out and spun with it out so i bolted her up and there she blows it was the positive cable that goes directly to the starter and the alternator... a guy i work with that used to work next door said that is not really common but more common than not and went on to tell me he even changedthat wire out on his truck.... ooh well now to catch her up on maintenance all fluids etc... any things i need to pay attention to while im going to be under her, most things look good just dirty and oily nothing catches my eye but i feel better asking than going to battle empty handed.

Thanks all for help, hopefully someone else will search a starting issue and this will help them.

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!

Good to hear you figured it out!

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2