Silicone Grease for Weather Stripping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've read that a good way to detail and preserve the weather stripping on our trucks is to use silicone grease. So, I sent to the local auto supply shop, and the only product they had was made by Ru Glyde, and it was a silicone dielectric grease, meant for things like inside spark plug boots, and a small tube was $55.

So, off to the plumbing supply, where I found silicone grease for about $7. Put it on the door weather stripping and window mouldings on my truck, and it sure looks good. Let's see how long it lasts, and whether it protects the stripping.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm always a little leery of any silicone-based products close to the paint since down the road if you have any paint work done all that stuff has to be stripped very thoroughly or you'll get fisheyes in the paint.

However, a comment on that dielectric grease - dunno how that parts store can be such a ripoff; you can find couple ounce tubes of the stuff practically anywhere for just a few bucks.

Richard

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm always a little leery of any silicone-based products close to the paint since down the road if you have any paint work done all that stuff has to be stripped very thoroughly or you'll get fisheyes in the paint.

However, a comment on that dielectric grease - dunno how that parts store can be such a ripoff; you can find couple ounce tubes of the stuff practically anywhere for just a few bucks.

Richard

Good points. I doubt if I'll paint this truck soon, but I'll remember what you said. As for the price, I honestly think they had something wrong in their computer, but when I questioned the price, they acted like I was some sort of rip off artist, so I left.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I once had a guy at a truck stop insist a gallon of bug juice was $20. It's like he thought I had a gallon of DEF (at a super-inflated price.) No matter how I tried to explain the **** is $5 at most, he would not listen, so I left it on his counter and told him to suck it.

Richard

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I've been using that 3M 303 Aerospace stuff, we'll I've started to. Says its got silicone on it and I use it to try and preserve my '88 Town Car's vinyl top so I figure if it works for that it should work for the weatherstripping. It looks good on it anyway and is easy to apply; spray a rag, wipe it on, done.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been using that 3M 303 Aerospace stuff, we'll I've started to. Says its got silicone on it and I use it to try and preserve my '88 Town Car's vinyl top so I figure if it works for that it should work for the weatherstripping. It looks good on it anyway and is easy to apply; spray a rag, wipe it on, done.

Yup, I use 303 Aerospace too. It definitely keeps the seals in good shape, seems to last good too. I wipe some new on every couple months.