*sigh* 4.3 No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here is a fun little story to share with everyone.

about a year ago I bought my 96 4.3L Vortec. 5 speed regular cab long box. Boy do I love this truck.. I almost have to at this point. So last year just going into our long ontario winter I was driving through a heavy snow storm and she quit.. right in the middle of an intersection. Tried it a couple times just kept rolling over no fire. Luckily its a slow area of town and no traffic at that horrible time of morning so after about 25 minutes it fired back up and off to work I went. no problems for a few weeks until the next snow storm then she quit on me again..this time no restart. Hooked up my scanner and found something for MAF sensor something or other I dont remember. None the less it was not the MAF sensor. I trailered it back to my shop and went out the next morning it fired right up but for the next couple of weeks it had ZERO power. did all the basic checks ended up finding the spider injector was leaking.. So i put in the new updated one and straight piped the exhaust because the cat burned out of it. after that what a perfect little truck :).... until last week.. first snow storm of the year and she quit on me on the highway. I bundled up for about an hour and got it to fire back up but had to limp it home as it was running rough. next day I got it and it ran rough for a few miles but then was fine for the rest of the day. Next day.... NO START..
SO

No Codes
found 1,3,5 washed out again SO i just installed another spider injector unit
fuel prssures are good.
still no start
Pulled 6 spark plugs were all wet. So i cranked the engine over to dry it out. cleaned and inspected the plugs and reinstalled. still no start
pulled 6 plugs and inspected for spark. All are sparking but not a continuous blue spark
I know its pulsing fuel because A i checked with my noid light and B the plugs are getting wet after cranking
all the fuses are good and all readings are good on genisys
oh.. and it wont run on ether, gas, brake clean, or anything else explosive I can spray down the throttle body.

All i can think is that the spark isn't strong enough

I can keep a Maxxforce engine on the road but this thing is pushing my limits lol

all seems to revolve around the stupid snow.. not even rain or car washes have ever bothered this truck.. just snow..

ernjohn

Reaction score
I'll throw some guesses at it: sounds like a possible part of the problem could be the air intake is getting restricted/clogged with snow... unless you've changed it from the factory setup. might not hurt to put a new cap 'n' rotor on it.