Should i try ethonal free gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested to see how they diagnosed a bad MAF if there were no CEL activated. I know the GM scanners are fairly comprehensive and most techs know their stuff but I’d like to know what data they went on to determine that failure. I know a dirty MAF will cause issues without throwing codes.
Im not sure on that either. Ill ask hubbs what yhey said

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would be interested to see how they diagnosed a bad MAF if there were no CEL activated. I know the GM scanners are fairly comprehensive and most techs know their stuff but I’d like to know what data they went on to determine that failure. I know a dirty MAF will cause issues without throwing codes.

They probably used low end of month part sales numbers to diagnose it given that's how most dealers solve problems. Throw parts at it.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been playing with E0 gas for a few months in 3 different cars - a mazda 6, Z28, and 95 C1500. All of them drive fine. My lawn mower as well. I logged data on tunerpro for the camaro and truck and some other cheap application for the mazda and noticed that the ECMs were having to remove a little bit of fuel, IE running rich. About 2 percent.
Also, the distance to drive and go get the gas sucks so I started making my own. Just purchase premium gas in bigass jugs, add water, shake, sit for a few hours, turn over, drain out the water/ethanol mixture, and youre left with gasoline only. Youll find videos all over youtube how to do it, its easy and cheap. If you decide to do it make sure you use premium, ethanol is an octane booster

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol dont laugh at me for this but i have no idea what pinging sounds like. Ima have to google it lol.

in case you havent found out by now, it literally sounds like ping pong balls in your engine. literally. its called 'pinging' because of the ping pong ball analogy.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well didnt get any pinging but my mpgs went to ****. Filled at a Casey's with 87, from just under 1/4 tank. It was about 87 bucks. Normally i can get about 300 miles from full to a 1/4 tank over a 2 week period of just in town daily driving. Barley got 220 with the corn free gas. So i filled up with midgrade 89 octane friday, and put some lucas fuel system cleaner in. So ill stick to the normal stuff at my normal gas station.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Hmm, that is odd, usually ethanol is worse... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well didnt get any pinging but my mpgs went to ****. Filled at a Casey's with 87, from just under 1/4 tank. It was about 87 bucks. Normally i can get about 300 miles from full to a 1/4 tank over a 2 week period of just in town daily driving. Barley got 220 with the corn free gas. So i filled up with midgrade 89 octane friday, and put some lucas fuel system cleaner in. So ill stick to the normal stuff at my normal gas station.

Like I said in my first post here, those were my results as well. The ethanol free gas in my area always gets worse mileage.

That said, are you guys 100% sure that your Casey's has ethanol free? I've never seen one that did. Even if it's not marked on the pumps they usually run 10%. Side note, non top tier gas from smaller stores (Casey's and other more local chains) always gets worse mileage than top tier from BP, Phillips, Shell, Sinclair, Texaco, etc in my vehicles. I'm sure turnover rate has something to do with it. Here's a list of top tier brands.

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said in my first post here, those were my results as well. The ethanol free gas in my area always gets worse mileage.

That said, are you guys 100% sure that your Casey's has ethanol free? I've never seen one that did. Even if it's not marked on the pumps they usually run 10%. Side note, non top tier gas from smaller stores (Casey's and other more local chains) always gets worse mileage than top tier from BP, Phillips, Shell, Sinclair, Texaco, etc in my vehicles. I'm sure turnover rate has something to do with it. Here's a list of top tier brands.

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
The Casey's i went to 2 towns over has it printed on their sign ethanol free and all the pumps except diesel say it too. They only have 1 pump with ethanol blend. We dont have those kind of stations here in our town. Used to back in the day when i was a kid. I go to the kwik shop cause their owned by kroger so fuel points from grocery shopping help keep the gas bill lower lol. I just put 22 inch wheels on over the weekend with a oem tire size so i have to start over on figuring mpgs out lol.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Casey's i went to 2 towns over has it printed on their sign ethanol free and all the pumps except diesel say it too. They only have 1 pump with ethanol blend. We dont have those kind of stations here in our town. Used to back in the day when i was a kid. I go to the kwik shop cause their owned by kroger so fuel points from grocery shopping help keep the gas bill lower lol. I just put 22 inch wheels on over the weekend with a oem tire size so i have to start over on figuring mpgs out lol.

So you have none of the top tier stations on that page I posted the link to? Man you must live in a tiny little town.

I used to get gas from a supermarket owned station here too before I realized what terrible mileage I was getting from it. I think I was actually spending more by buying the cheap gas.

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you saw worse gas mileage then your motor ran rich and isnt adjusting AF mixture correctly to compensate. Hookup a cheap scan tool and check fuel trims and O2 sensors