Shorty Headers Vs Longtube Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BadBowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking to put a new exhaust system on my 1998 GMC Sierra. Im also putting a new L-31R crate motor in it. I wanna get the most bang for my buck. All advise/comments are appreciated.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on the sound and power range you are looking for. Shorties have normally produced less max HP but more low end, LTs the opposite. I like the throatiness of LTs. They can be a ***** to install on 4x4s if you've never done it.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah Longtubes... Shortys are a step over manifolds, but don't have the smoothest bends to em... LTs have really smooth bends and flow really well, not sure on these trucks, but LTs usually require something to be modified to install them... Even though they're a pretty penny, I like Doug Thorleys personally

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Shorties are a novelty. Serve no better purpose than manifolds, with the "look" of actual headers. The long primary tubes of what this place calls "LT's" enable the engine to properly "breathe". The diameter of the collector and length of the collector, in conjunction with the length/diameter of the primaries determine where the power is COMPLETELY optimized. There's a difference between headers and tuned headers. Then there's shorties.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The only advantage I've found to shorties is that they don't hold the heat like a cast manifold does. Prformance gains are minimal, because they are not long enough to create the scavenging effect that long tubes do. My personal favs. are tri-y's, but I've never seen them for GMT400's. Not saying they aren't out there, just never seen 'em

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Shorties are a novelty. Serve no better purpose than manifolds, with the "look" of actual headers. The long primary tubes of what this place calls "LT's" enable the engine to properly "breathe". The diameter of the collector and length of the collector, in conjunction with the length/diameter of the primaries determine where the power is COMPLETELY optimized. There's a difference between headers and tuned headers. Then there's shorties.

They pick up a couple HP but more than that is the amount of weight they save. Stock manifolds are boat anchors. LTs are better for non-towing road goers. The shorties give more out of the whole go than LTs but aren't noticeably better on the big end. I prefer LTs for the sound and flow characteristics at high RPMs. But shorties are certainly an upgrade by cutting a lot of weight and flow a little better.

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is if you need to stay smog legal. I don't know of any long tube headers that are.